This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

In today’s age of Netflix and watching television shows online, I feel like we miss out on the continuous replay of commercials for movies we used to get growing up. You know? The movie trailers that you end up memorizing because you watch them every single commercial break your television show has. I was thinking this past week that I hadn’t seen an advertisement for a movie in what seems like months. So, I decided to do a little bit of investigating to see what some of the most star-studded, book-based, or interesting movies coming to theatres in the next few months are. Especially as we are all in the middle of midterms, exhausted from classes and studying and may need a little break to get away from it all. Movies are that perfect escape.

The Girl on the Train

October 7

I love watching movies based on books. Maybe it’s because I’m a journalism major. Maybe it’s because I like thinking about how a movie producer was so inspired by a book that they decided to bring it to light in the film industry. I actually first heard about this movie from my mom, who had been in the middle of reading the novel. The movie is a mystery thriller film, and it stars Emily Blunt. In the story, Rachel Watson (Blunt) takes the train to her job in NYC everyday. She passes by her old home where her ex-husband now lives with his new family. This really upsets her, so she begins watching a neighboring couple, when one day she wakes up hungover all bruised and cut up. She can’t remember anything from the night before. News reports say the woman who she’d been watching has gone missing. This movie is sure to be filled with multiple plot twists and turns.

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back

October 21

Everyone loves a good action film, and, thankfully, another Jack Reacher movie is on the horizon. Starring Tom Cruise and Cobie Smulders, who played Robin in How I Met Your Mother, this film centers on the topic of Reacher having to clear his name by uncovering the truth of a government conspiracy. He’s running from the government and learns some things about his own past that he had never known before. If you’re looking for an action-packed movie that will keep you on your toes, then Jack Reacher: Never Go Back is the movie for you this October.

Keeping up with the Joneses

October 21

If you are looking for a movie that is both action packed as well as hilarious, then this is the movie for you. With Isla Fisher and Zach Galifianakis, you are sure to get both. This film is about an ordinary couple who gets new neighbors, who seem a little bit too good to be true. The new couple is always perfectly dressed, extremely accomplished and seem to have nothing wrong with them. When the Gaffneys (Fisher and Galifianakis) go over to their neighbors house to investigate, they discover that their neighbors are government spies, and they themselves become part of the action.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

November 18

This is the movie that will have people talking for weeks. Harry Potter fans worldwide have been anticipating this film for years, and, finally, it’s release is upon us. If you’re like me and have seen Harry Potter marathons on television more times than you can count, then I’m sure you’ll be in theatres to see this film. This movie tells the story of Newt Scamander, who is a writer of textbooks used at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. This takes place 70 years before Harry attends Hogwarts and shows the secret world of witches and wizards in New York City. It’s definitely going to be wonderful to once again enter the wizarding world. I’m definitely going to be in line for this movie, and you should be, too.

Passengers

December 21

This movie is also at the top of my list. Starring Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt, Passengers takes place on a spacecraft in outer space. The spaceship is on a 120 year journey to a new planet. Over 5,000 people are in hibernation chambers on the ship, but the two hibernation pods with Lawrence and Pratt open, and they wake up. They find out that they are still 90 years away from their destination. They must figure out what to do in order to survive.

So, if you are looking for a break to go see a movie, then consider one of these above. Whether you like action, comedy or even mystery, there’s a movie on this list for you. Head to the movies with your family and friends.

Photo credit:

Image-collider.com

Hey I'm Spencer! I'm a senior journalism major with a leadership minor here at UF. I love traveling to different countries, running half marathons and spending time with my friends. This past summer I had two pr and marketing internships in NYC with fashion labels JOVANI and REISS. I'll be graduating and moving back to NYC this December.