Entertainment Ten: Hilary Duff Divorce, Ashlee Simpson Engagement and Veronica Mars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Welcome back to a brand new semester! I’m so excited to keep bringing you the most exciting (and sometimes strange) entertainment news. This week, I’m kicking off the semester with a lot of good news, such as babies on the way, new movies, and new T.V. shows. But, what would an entertainment list be without a little shocking news to begin with?

1. Hilary Duff and her husband are splitting up. I was actually really sad to hear this news. The former “Lizzie McGuire” star and the former NHL player announced they are separating after almost three and a half years of marriage. The two have a son, Luca, who was born in 2012. According to Duff’s rep, the two will remain close friends. “E! News” said the two simply drifted apart despite attempts to reignite their spark with couple’s therapy. My only thought is, if Lizzie McGuire can’t stay married, what hope is there for the rest of us? Duff will make her return to TV on the new TV Land series, “Younger.

2. Ciara is having a baby! The R&B singer confirmed on “The View” that she and her husband, rapper Future, are having a child together. Baby rumors have been swirling around the singer since October, but she officially confirmed it by revealing her baby bump to Barbara Walters. Any baby of hers is bound to be beautiful! This baby will be Ciara’s first and Future’s fourth.

3. James Cameron is making three more “Avatar” movies. Holy cow, that’s a lot of blue people. According to “E! News,” Zoë Saldana and Sam Worthington have both committed to reprising their roles for three more “Avatar” movies. The films are slated for release in Dec. 2016, Dec. 2017, and Dec. 2018. Not only is “Avatar” the highest-grossing movie of all time, an Avatar-themed amusement park is under construction at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. See you all in Pandora!

4. Justin Bieber was caught doing something stupid (again). Did that get your attention, or did you just roll your eyes? According to Buzzfeed, Bieber is under investigation by police for allegedly egging his neighbor’s house. Yeah, you read that correctly. But to make matters even worse (or funnier?), Bieber’s friend and rapper Lil Za was arrested in Bieber’s house for drug possession. Police originally thought he had cocaine, but it is now thought to be either ecstasy or molly. Lil Za has since been released. I’m sure you have questions you’d like answered such as: Why would Bieber egg his own neighbor’s house and allegedly cause $20,000 worth of damage? Why did his friend have drugs on him, and did Bieber have anything to do with it? Joel McHale answered these questions for Conan O’Brien by summing up what everyone was thinking on “Conan.” “He’s a f*cking idiot,” McHale said. Well spoken, sir.

5. Ashlee Simpson is engaged. I don’t care what anyone says. I loved listening to her CD Autobiography in elementary school. She may not be the best singer, but homegirl keeps trying. According to the Huffington Post, Simpson is engaged to 25-year-old actor Evan Ross, son of Diana Ross. The two have been dating since last July. Simpson has a son, Bronx, with former husband and Fall Out Boy bassist, Pete Wentz.

6. Will Ferrell is taking “Anchorman” into space. NBC has ordered a pilot of a Will Ferrell-headed project styled like Anchorman. According to “Entertainment Weekly,” the show is described as “a workplace ensemble in the tone of ‘Anchorman’ examines what happens when a strong woman butts heads with a macho astronaut in the race to land on the moon.” Whatever that means.

7. New details have been released about the fourth season of “American Horror Story.Co-creator Ryan Murphy has revealed that the fourth season of the popular horror show will take place in 1950 and that actress Jessica Lange has been working on a German accent. Got any ideas about what could happen?

8. The CW is creating a “Veronica Mars” spinoff. For those fans of the cult-classic detective show, you’ll be glad to hear a digital series is being made for the CW website. “Veronica Mars” creator Rob Thomas has campaigned for a while to create a movie, and he probably had a hand in persuading the network to reboot the series.

9. Trace Adkins is in rehab after a fight on a cruise ship. I’m not sure which part of that statement to address first. According to the Los Angeles Times, the country singer was headlining a weeklong cruise when he got drunk onboard the ship and got into a fight with a Trace Adkins impersonator. Adkins left the ship when it made its first stop in Jamaica and headed to rehab. Adkins has a history of alcohol abuse; he entered rehab back in 2001 after his family held an intervention to help him get sober. Here’s hoping he makes a speedy recovery!

10. JoJo has a new record label. Remember singing the song “Leave (Get Out)” over and over in elementary school? Be honest; we all know who JoJo is. She’s been tangled up in a legal dispute with her old record label for years, which prevented her from releasing any new material since her last album in 2006, according to the Los Angeles Times. The 23-year-old singer has signed a new deal with Atlantic Records and can now work on releasing her long-awaited third album. She will also be in the new teen comedy “G.B.F,” which stands for gay best friend. Rock on, JoJo!

That’s all for this week, girls! Enjoy the beginning of a new semester!

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.