Don’t Boo, Vote: A Night with President Barack Obama

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Only one more day until the 2016 presidential election is over. The presidential nominees and those campaigning on their behalf have been traveling up and down the sunshine state over the past month to gather as many votes as they can in this valuable swing state. President Barack Obama, the first black president, the 44th president and the president we’ve come to know so well over the past eight years, visited the University of Central Florida last Friday, rallying students to vote for Hillary Clinton.

The rally featured speakers such as democratic senator Bill Nelson and senate candidate Patrick Murphy. Obama asserted  that so much has been accomplished over the past eight years, and this progress is at stake in this election if Hillary Clinton doesn’t win the presidency. Obama emphasized to voters that, “If you vote, you will send Hillary Clinton to The White House.”

Obama didn’t just explain why Clinton should be president, but why her experience is such an essential quality to have when running for president. Obama barely used Trump’s name, but he did have a lot to say about him. He asked his audience, “How would you feel if your surgeon never studied surgery, or your pilot never went to flight school?”

While there were many cheers and claps throughout Obama’s speech, there were also many boos at the mention of Trump’s name. Obama wasn’t afraid to address the boos, saying, “Don’t boo…vote.” Obama explained this by reminding the audience that Trump can not hear the boos, but the votes will be heard. Obama made it clear that this election will shape history, and the only way to be a part of the history being made is to vote.

Photo Credits: Alex Ciccarone