Disney Channel Original Movies: 5 Movies you Hate to Love.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

If there is anything I remember most about my childhood, it was Disney channel original movies. The mediocre acting, frosted hair, ridiculous plots, and the moral of the story ending… I ate it up. I couldn’t get enough of it. But now that I’m a little older and a tad more mature, I still can’t help but wish I owned every single flick on DVD. Here are the best Disney channel movies you might have forgotten about that are worth purchasing if you ever come across them.

Brink: Ahhh, my first childhood crush. Erik von Detten — where the heck did you go?! But honestly, what doesn’t this movie have to offer? We have grunge hair, an overload of plaid shirts, and 90 minutes of heart-wrenching dialogue consisting of “Yeah, man,” and “Totally dude.” But of all the sports to make a movie about, Disney chose rollerblading? Can’t get more family-friendly than that.

The Thirteenth Year: For so many going through puberty when this movie came out, this kid had it way worse. I mean, he turned into a fish! I love mermaids and all, but I would take the acne and awkwardness over an actual tail any day. The cool jock helps out the nerd who can’t swim, jock gets the girl, then jock turns into a merman; he had it all. If I ever come across this movie in the $5 DVD bin at Target, I would buy it solely for the CGI effects. Oh, and Kristen Stewart is in it…What!?

Wish Upon a Star: This movie was great for any Disney lover with a sibling. When the two sisters switch bodies, they taught us how to get along and walk a mile in another person’s shoes. More importantly, this is one of Katherine Heigl’s first films! Her character had the most ridiculous wardrobe, and I remember wanting to be her more than anything. But looking back, her parents let her wear thigh highs to high school. Excuse me? I would buy this movie just to remember the best of 90s fashion — complete with scrunchies, synthetic material, and ultra- tiny mini-skirts.

Zenon, Girl of the 21st Century: Just because you live in space, you have to have the dumbest name ever? Really? But this movie has had such a dramatic effect on my life. I can’t even complain about the ridiculous plot, the fact she lives in space, or the excessive amounts of neon spandex in one outfit. I mean, it gave me bomb catch phrases like “Zetus lupetus.” Oh, and we can’t forget Proto Zoa’s “Zoom zoom zoom, make my heart go boom boom.” That song gets stuck in my head way too frequently.

Smart House: My DVD collection could definitely make room for Smart House. Even if the house did become evil and everyone almost died… I still wouldn’t mind living in a Smart House in college. No cooking or cleaning? Yes, please.

Sources: 
Tumblr
popcultureramble.com 
thegreatfilmretrospective.blogspot.com

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.