Dishes ‘n’ DIYs: 6 Jewelry Tutorials That Will Have You Non-Stop Crafting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Finding an excuse to buy more jewelry isn’t hard, but paying for it is. Next time you’re wanting more shiny accessories, think about these DIY jewelry tutorials instead! Making jewelry is fun – it makes great gifts and usually only require a few dollars and a trip to your local hardware or bead store. (Yes, bead stores exist.) Check out these fun tutorials to get you started as a pro jeweler and DIY queen.

1.  DIY Stone Studs  

Finding earring you love can be a hassle, not to mention expensive. Turning to DIY earrings may seem like work, but the outcome is well worth the time. These DIY raw stone earrings are great to make in many colors, so you’ll never be without earrings for an outfit. You can dress them up or down and choose what metal you want, what color stone and what size.

2. DIY Ear Cuff 

Ear cuffs are going strong in the fashion scene, but paying for a nice pair that you love may seem a little out of reach. With this tutorial, you can make a cute wire cuff that you’re sure to love – because you made it! Choose between silver, gold or copper metal wire, bend it to your favorite design and even add colorful beads. (Teal looks great with a copper wire or a neutral black like the tutorial!) Your first attempt may not turn out exactly like the pictures, but a few more tries and a little time will have all your friends begging you to make them one.

3. DIY Nuts ‘n’ Bolts Bracelet 

Who couldn’t use a new, trendy bracelet to add to their wardrobe? With this tutorial you can make a bracelet that will match your style and color scheme – that’s the best part about DIY. This bracelet is made of metal nuts (as in nuts and bolts) from your local hardware store, that are then braided into your choice of thread. Choose between gold and silver nuts and an array of colorful string to make it your own. Use leather string for a different look, or even colored leather like the tutorial!

4. DIY Tassel Earrings 

Looking for dangling earrings instead of stud? Look no further. These DIY tassel earrings ear chic and trendy with a little fun and playfulness. Making them yourself makes them even more unique! Head to your closest bead or craft shop to look for earring hooks and colorful thread – choose a chic, dark color or choose your schools colors for a perfect game day accessory (or maybe just choose both). These earrings are not only cheap but take very little time to make, so don’t be surprised if you find yourself wanting more.

5. DIY Braided Chain Bracelet 

This braided chain and rope bracelet will soon become a staple of your wardrobe. Similar to the Nuts ‘n’ Bolts bracelet, this one involves a trip to the hardware aisle. Grab your choice of gold or silver chain (make sure it’s the length of around your wrist or just a little less). Make sure it’s big enough to allow for your string to pass through but small enough to not look to bulky or heavy on your wrist.

6. DIY Silver Spoon Ring 

This DIY may still require a trip to a store, but not the one you might expect. Head to your local thrift store to pick up a silver fork or spoon. (That’s right, silverware). Some heavy duty wire cutters and pliers may be required to cut the spoon and bend the end to form a ring, but once it’s polished and on your hand, you’ll love the vintage look you’ve achieved!

Once you start making DIY jewelry, you won’t be able to stop. There’s many more tutorials out there for you to explore – so before you head to the mall when you’re in need of accessories, remember these tutorials and make your own accessories that no one else will have (until you start giving them to your friends as gifts).

Photo credits: Cutoutandkeep.net