Dishes ‘n’ DIYs: 5 Stuffed Vegetables Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Sometimes getting all of your vegetables in a meal can be a tough order. Making healthy meals in general is hard after a long day, but I have the solution. Stuffed vegetables are an easy way to eat a lot of vegetables with your protein and an easy way to portion your food. Throwing together something with stuffed vegetables is easy, and the cooking process will infuse the vegetable with the stuffing to form the perfect blend. Here are some recipes to get you on the right track.

1. Taco-Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Zucchini boats can be stuffed with almost anything, but ground beef works perfectly because it’s heavy and has a strong flavor that balances with the watery vegetable. To prepare the zucchini, just cut it in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeded insides to make a boat; this where the filling goes. For this recipe, cook the meat until it’s about halfway done, then stuff it into the zucchini boats and bake. One zucchini or one half is a good portion and fills you with protein and veggies.

2. Quinoa-Stuffed Bell Peppers
Stuffed bell peppers are easily the most popular stuffed vegetable, but there’s nothing wrong with a classic. To stuff peppers, cut the tops off first, then scoop out all the seeds and white parts to make it a hollow bowl. Quinoa with cheese, corn and black beans is a healthy and protein-filled mix that’s perfect for bell peppers. Fill the peppers with the mix and bake. A fun and delicious addition is an over-easy fried egg on top!

3. Spinach-Stuffed Mushrooms
Mushrooms aren’t always a favorite veggie, but after this recipe you’ll be craving mushrooms all the time. Remove the stems of the mushrooms, then fill with the spinach and garlic filling. This creamy mixture brings out the richness of the mushrooms and will have you coming back for seconds. Melted cheese on top adds the perfect touch to this dish.

4. Sausage-Stuffed Acorn Squash
Acorn squash is a great winter vegetable and not one commonly used. This recipe adds a sweet twist to a savory dish. Mixing apples, cranberries and sausage goes well with the sweetness of the squash. While the squash is a thick vegetable, it doesn’t take any longer to bake than other vegetables. It’s the perfect winter dinner after a long day.

5. Lasagna-Stuffed Spaghetti Squash   
Spaghetti squash is an up-and-coming star in the world of quick meals, as the insides make an easy and healthy pasta substitute. This recipe basically just calls for cheese and the squash, but adding a bit of ground beef or some chicken will add healthy protein. Bake the spaghetti squash with the cheese for a perfect lasagna-like dinner.

Eating stuffed vegetables for dinner is a great way to get all your vegetables in a meal without taking too much time to cook multiple parts of a meal. Say hello to easy, healthy dinners! Another upside? Stuffed veggies are easy to pack up and reheat as leftovers.

Photo credits: fremontpizzeria.com