Dishes ‘n’ DIYs: 21st Birthday Signs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It has come to that time in my life when all of my best friends are beginning to turn 21 (cue the minor panic attack because I still feel like I’m a freshman). You’ve memorized your friend’s birthdays since birth, but they always seem to sneak up on you quicker than you imagined because of those two huge tests you just took. You created the perfect collage of the most embarrassing Snapchats to post on Instagram, and you made reservations at her favorite restaurant. But wait; don’t forget about her personalized birthday sign with 21 tasks to complete by the end of the night. I’m here to give you some quick tips on how to pull off the most perfect sign together for your bestie even if you’re short on time!

What you’ll need:1. Foam board2. Paint/paint pens3. Paintbrushes4. Ribbon5. Exacto knife6. Projector7. Pencil8. Sticker letters9. Glue gun and glue10. Sharpie11. Any other miscellaneous items depending on what her sign is

What to do:1. Brainstorm and pick out a shape that describes your friend. Think about one word that defines her if you’re having trouble. Pinterest can also help if you’re struggling!2. Use a projector and pencil to trace the shape on a foam board. If you don’t have access to a projector, try sketching a freehand version if the shape is not too complicated.3. Use the exacto knife to carefully cut out the shape. The trick is to take this part slow because you really don’t want to mess this up.

4. Use the paintbrushes and paint to craft the perfect design. You may want to take your friend’s favorite colors into account. Paint pens will be your best friend during this step.

5. Next, create a cute slogan to incorporate the design and her name. Use sticker letters or paint pens to write this slogan on the sign.

6. Using a glue gun, attach a ribbon so she can wear the sign around her neck. Make sure you try it on yourself so it’s the perfect length when hanging around her neck.

7. Use the sharpie to write her 21 tasks on the back. Some examples include taking 21 selfies with strangers or calling the 21st person in your phone’s contact list.

There you have it, collegiettes. I hope you 21-year-olds now have some inspiration for creating your friend’s birthday signs. Happy crafting!