Dishes ‘n’ DIYs: 10 Recipes You Can Make in a Mug

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

A late-night craving for cake is something we’ve all wrestled with, but baking or buying a whole cake is never the right solution — until now. If you haven’t heard of mug cakes or haven’t made one, now is the time! Mug cakes take about 60 seconds to cook and only a few minutes to put together, so get ready to fill your cravings. Not only can you make cakes in 60 seconds, but there are also recipes out there for savory treats, too.

1. Cinnamon Roll In A Mug
If you’ve ever woken up craving cinnamon rolls, but haven’t felt like waiting 30 minutes for them to cook, this replacement is what you’ve been searching for. Applesauce, buttermilk and brown sugar, with other ingredients, make a moist, flavorful cake. Topped with cream cheese icing, it makes a perfect morning sweet.

2. Blueberry Mug Cake
This recipe is for that last handful of blueberries that are left in the box. Those, with other basic cake ingredients, make a cake you can eat even eat for breakfast (or, let’s be honest, any time).

3. Snickerdoodle Mug Cake
While snickerdoodle isn’t exactly something you may crave often, this cinnamon creation will have you coming back for more. The ingredients are almost no different than the cookie, just in much smaller portions. The mug cake version of the holiday cookie is almost better than the original.

4. Pizza In A Mug
We’ve all craved pizza at one time or other (or, if you’re like me, every day), but ordering a whole pizza for yourself is usually a bad idea. Now you can make a tiny personal pizza in the microwave in just a few minutes that will give you all the flavors of the Domino’s pizza you want.

5. Chocolate Chip Mug Cookie
Always a classic, the chocolate chip cookie can never be bad. Now you can have one whenever you get the craving. Add more chocolate chips for an extra sweet snack, or throw in some pecans to give your mug cookies extra texture.

6. Brownie In A Mug
A whole pan of brownies isn’t exactly what you want or need to make when you’re craving chocolate, but a brownie in a mug is the perfect serving size. This is just a simplified version of a regular brownie, so there are no new ingredients. Drizzle chocolate syrup on top of your freshly baked brownie for even more chocolatey goodness.

7. Mac & Cheese In A Mug
Waiting for water to boil can be a hassle, but this mac ‘n’ cheese only takes a few minutes in the microwave to cook, then add cheese and milk for a creamy sauce to cover your savory treat.

8. Cookies ‘n’ Cream Mug Cake
Cookies and cream ice cream is delicious, but imagine it turned into a cake. Crushed Oreos as a base make this microwave cake the perfect treat after a long week or just a long night.

9. Sugar Mug Cookie
When you’re craving a cookie to go with some milk, look no further. While this cookie may turn out a little more like a cake, the flavor is still the same. Sprinkles on top make this a complete package.

10. Garlic Biscuits In A Mug
An egg and cheese biscuit for breakfast is the perfect cure after a long night out, and a side of bread couldn’t go better with spaghetti, so now you can make a quick, gluten-free biscuit that will fill your needs. The hints of garlic add flavor to what might have been a boring dish.

Once you start making things in a mug, you’ll never stop. With these recipes you can make cake, muffins, savory snacks and breakfast treats that cook in less than a minute and take almost as much time to prepare. A late-night cookie or brownie no long requires a call to Midnight Cookies or a trip to Publix for an entire cake. With these mug-sized portions, you can cook for one and only have one dish to clean afterward.

Photo credits: dishinwithdi.com