The Different Types of Snapchats We Send

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

There’s a wonderful versatility about Snapchat that you don’t find in other social media apps. You don’t have the same pressure to maintain a certain image on a platform that deletes your pictures after ten seconds. Snapchat brings out our inner weirdos, and no matter how cool we appear to be on Facebook and Instagram, we all send our best friends double-chin selfies while in a bathrobe. If you find yourself thinking that maybe your Snapchat habits are abnormal, don’t fear. Almost everyone finds themselves sending these certain types every so often.

The Food SnapDescription: A favorite among college students, the Food Snap is exactly what it sounds like: a picture of your meal. Whether it’s a homecooked meal that you slaved over, a delicious pizza from Leonardo’s by the Slice, your midday Starbucks rush or a microwave dinner, the Food Snap tells a complex story in a brief picture. It’s a way to show off your cooking skills or to make fun of them. Whatever the reason behind your Food Snap, it’s usually a delicious one.Who to send it to? Your siblings back home to show them how you’ve adjusted to rough college living.Post to your story? Definitely. Share your culinary explorations with your friends.  

The Creeper ShotDescription: It could be someone you knew from high school. Maybe it’s that guy you had a crush on all of freshman year. Or maybe it’s just some stranger on a unicycle. Whoever the subject of your Creeper Shot is, it’s someone who’s not aware that their picture is being taken. There are many reasons for this. It could be that you don’t want to have to talk to that kid who sat behind you in eighth grade math, but you want to tell your friend that you ran into them and they were wearing that terrible seafoam green sleeveless hoodie yet again. Or maybe it’s just someone you don’t know at all but is interesting enough to send a snap about.Who to send it to? A close friend who will forgive your creepiness for a good laugh.Post to your story? Unless it’s a really funny shot of someone making a scene in Turlington, just keep it between your close friends.

The “Check Out My Fabulous Hair and Makeup” SelfieDescription: We all have those days when our hair is just being fabulous, our eyeliner is on-point, and we feel ready to conquer the world. What better way to celebrate that than with a Snapchat selfie? It can range from subtle — just a generic selfie with an unrelated caption — to blatantly obvious — a glamour shot with the caption “Check out my eyeliner!” There’s nothing wrong with celebrating how you look via Snapchat and then posting that same fabulous selfie to all your other social media accounts for the rest of the world to see.Who to send it to? All of your friends.Post to your story? Absolutely! That way the cutie from your astronomy class can see just how hot you can look.

The Boredom SnapDescription: It’s around lunchtime and you’re stuck in a boring lecture, wishing you were anywhere else. You’re way too bored to be paying attention, so like any typical college student, you open up your phone and turn to Snapchat. These snaps are usually accompanied by a caption, though they need not be selfies of your bored face. Sometimes it’s a shot of that kid in front of you who’s watching Netflix in class. Maybe it’s a pic of your professor that you’ve graciously edited with the paint tool to make it look like he’s battling a dragon and not droning on about electric potential. Whatever it is, it’s a way to waste time.Who to send it to? Anyone else who’s stuck in lecture.Post to your story? Yes, so everyone can admire your detailed art skills.

The StoryDescription: Sometimes, moments have to be told in multiple snaps. Maybe you’re detailing a night out or just slowly opening a package. The Story is the type of sequential snap that just has to be posted on your story to make any sense. Whether you’re detailing an obvious sequence of events or you’ve contrived a humorous and elaborate snap compilation, it’s almost like updating your status, except with neat visuals.Who to send it to? Save this one for your story.Post to your story? Duh. That’s the point of it.

The “Glamour” ShotDescription: Not all selfies are going to be completely flawless and Instagram-worthy. Sometimes you just have to take a goofy picture, with your tongue hanging out of your mouth and your eyes crossed. Everyone takes these pictures and everyone has their own signature default derpy facial expression. A favorite is the double chin, which some successful individuals have managed to turn into a quadruple chin. The fun part about Snapchat is that unless your friends are mean enough to screenshot your derptastic selfie and blackmail you with it, you can go crazy and look as wonderfully weird as you want.Who to send it to? Your BFFs, who will probably send you back equally weird selfies.Post to your story? If you’re comfortable with it, then go for it!

Snapchat allows us to unleash our inner weirdo, so have fun with your creations!

Photo credit: Huffingtonpost.com

Petrana Radulovic is a senior studying English and Computer Science. She hopes to be a writer someday and live in the Pacific Northwest, where she will undoubtedly divide her time between sipping coffee at a local café and sipping coffee in her living room, working on her latest story. She enjoys singing when she thinks she’s the only person at home, obsessively watching America’s Next Top Model, and wearing all black no matter what the weather. In her future, she sees many cats and many books and many mugs. She is currently the Senior Editor for HerCampus UFL, but writes the occasional article because she can't help herself. This is her sixth semester with HerCampus.