Money 30 micheile henderson lZ 4nPFKcV8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 30 micheile henderson lZ 4nPFKcV8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

College Road Trip: Going to Away Games on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

At some point in a young Gators’ life, they will decide to venture out of The Swamp and into the big world. You got it: away football games. Although not all places have the fervor of The Swamp or the overwhelming school spirit of the Gator Nation, away games are an amazing way to experience the reach of the Gator Nation and to see what other campuses around the country are like.

The hardest part of travelling to away games is doing staying on budget. Florida-Georgia weekend can cost about $500, ticket prices notwithstanding, and those costs rack up fast depending on hotels, food, and souvenirs. In honor of the Kentucky game this weekend, I decided to put together a little guide on how to enjoy an away football game on the other team’s turf without spending all of your money.

Hotels 
The best way to get a cheap hotel reservation is to book early. By early, I mean six months in advanced. Big games mean big business for hotels, and management is not shy about jacking up its prices.  Book early, and don’t be afraid to give yourself a bit of a drive to the stadium, it’ll save you hundreds in the end. Splitting the cost with other people is a good idea, too. Find a few friends who are willing to combine their resources for getting there, sleeping there, and getting home. Remember: $100 a night split three ways is a lot cheaper than $100 a night for one person alone. However, your best option is to find someone you know in the city you’re travelling to and stay with him or her. Couch surfing is completely acceptable as a college student; take advantage of it.

Food 
You’re going to be tempted to go dine at the best and brightest restaurants, but it’s also OK to stop at McDonald’s for breakfast just this once. Going out to drink every night you’re in a new town isn’t exactly necessary. Offer to be the DD and ask your friends to pay you in free, non-alcoholic drinks (yum!). It’s better for both you and your wallet. If you do decide to go out, save the leftovers for a quick meal the next day. This, in turn, will save you a few bucks. Most hotel rooms come with a mini fridge, so make use of it. Find out if the hotel you decide to stay in provides a free breakfast and take advantage of that, too.

Souvenirs 
No, you do not need 12 new shirts while you’re at the game. Vendors are everywhere around the stadium showing you the cutest things, but you probably don’t need them. If you must, get something you know you will use more than once and for several different occasions. Chances are you already have enough college-glory-day shirts in your closet!

The biggest thing to remember about going to away games is to have fun. Yes, be conscious of your spending, but don’t let that hold you back from making memories. Pick a game not too far from home that your friends will want to go to as well. And don’t forget the cardinal rule of game day: Keep calm and GO GATORS!

Journalism major with a minor in education. Currently a copywriter for Infinite Energy. Twitter handle: @DiadysFig
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.