Campus Style: Stayin’ Cool in September

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

While most of us here at the University of Florida are content to let our fashion game slip during the unpredictable month of September (is it rainy? Is it hot? Oh no—it’s both), there’s some amongst us who still find the courage within themselves to dress up. Walking across the old Turlington pathway, I found one such fashionista amidst a sea of plain Jane tank tops and flip flops. Sporting a fashionable beige coat, over-the-shoulder Calvin Klein bag, and monochrome wrapped skirt, she’s here to show us all that iffy Florida weather can, indeed, be beaten. Her name is Mary Vasilevsky, and her fashion interview with Her Campus is included down below. Keep reading for an interesting take on September fashion!

Name: Mary Vasilevsky

Age: 22

Year: Senior

Major: Environmental Science

Her Campus: What are you wearing and where did you get it?

Mary Vasilevsky: I’m wearing a skirt from Express and a beige shirt from T.J. Maxx. I don’t remember where I got the petticoat from, but the purse is from Calvin Klein.

HC: What would you say your personal style is?

MV: Not quite business casual, but a little bit edgy and professional. Like professional casual.

HC: What are some style icons or role models?

MV: Emma Watson, for sure. Then, my old roommate. She was a writer for CollegeFashionista, so I would ask her a lot of the time, “can you help me?” I would say those two.

HC: Where do you like to shop?

MV: Ooh, I love Sandy’s and Plato’s. And my absolute favorite is Express.

HC: What’s your favorite item in your closet right now?

MV: Right now? I have this shirt; it’s like a three-quarters sleeve shirt. It’s kind of see-through (I think it’s chiffon) and it’s floral, but it’s a gray lavender floral. It’s somewhat pinched in at the waist, and it’s a long shirt that flows out. I would say that’s my favorite. It’s loose and it’s perfect for this weather.

HC: What’s your favorite season?

MV: Winter. Winter in Florida. That’s my favorite because you can just finally break out the coats and wear them all. You look good even if you don’t really try. You can be wearing pajamas underneath but so long as you have your coat on and a pair of boots, you’re good to go.

HC: Okay: last question of the day! What’s your style advice for any Gator gals reading this?

MV: Look good, feel good. That’s the only thing I can say.

Photo Credit: Anna Burbano

Anna Burbano is a junior at the University of Florida pursuing a B.A. in English. Alongside minoring in Classical Studies, she harbors a (not so secret) passion for fashion magazines and musical theatre. Most of the time, you’ll find Anna daydreaming about the following things: what life would be like as a Disney princess, meeting lyrical genius Lin-Manuel Miranda, or any number of dashing Jane Austen heroes (especially Northanger Abbey’s Mr. Tilney). Follow her at www.annaburbano.com!