Campus Style: Girl of Rock

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Walking back from a hearty Krishna lunch out on the Plaza of the Americas (spaghetti Wednesday = flashing heart emoji sign), I catch a glimpse of a choker, denim skirt and striped crop top. No, I haven’t been transported to the ‘90s—it’s just sartorial edginess!

Meet Danielle Garcia, a Rihanna and thrift-store loving UF native, and be prepared to be schooled on the alternative look that’s always in vogue. Rock on to this, fellow Gators gals.

Name: Danielle Garcia

Age: 20

Year: Junior

Major: Art History

Her Campus: What are you wearing and where is it from?

Danielle Garcia: “I’m wearing a denim skirt, which I think I got from Flashbacks, a thrift store on University. It’s an asymmetrical jean cut skirt. Also, the shoes that I’m wearing are white Nikes with baby blue checks and they were $7 at Flashbacks. The top is from Forever 21, and I got the belt at H&M. My choker is Forever 21.”

HC: What are your favorite stores to shop at?

DG: “I wish I couldn’t just say Forever 21, but I always shop there! Thrifting is what I really prefer, but I rarely do it. But, you know, H&M and stores like that. Maybe even department stores as well.”

HC: What’s your style motto?

DG: “Retail on sale. So every time I do go to a retail store, I flock to the sales section and find really great things there.”

HC: How would you describe your personal style as?

DG: “I strive to be an alt girl—you know, like alternative. But sometimes I divert from it and look more done up for school, a little more business casual. For my casual wear, it’s typically black and skirt or bodysuit-heavy.”

HC: Who are your style icons at the moment?

DG: “I don’t really look up to anyone in particular. Maybe bands or artists. Mac DeMarco has this sad boy aesthetic, and it’s just rolled-up jeans and Vans, which is great. Oh wait—Rihanna! Definitely her. She’s my fashionista. I wish I could dress like her all of the time.”

HC: What’s your favorite piece in your wardrobe?

DG: “I’m going to have to say my bodysuit. I love it! It’s black with spaghetti straps and it has a deep V-neck. I can combine it with so many things, like a choker with a black necklace or a skirt, or long black slacks that kind of taper at the end, or cute booties.”

HC: Okay, last question of the day! What’s your style advice for Gator gals reading this?

DG: “I mean, you’ll probably hear the cliche, ‘express yourself as best you can,’ but I think it goes beyond that. For me, I see a lot of people looking the same, a plain T-shirt and jeans, and I’m not trying to bag whoever conforms to that specific style or be mean, but I feel you should just step out and find your own style.”

Photo Credit: Anna Burbano

Anna Burbano is a junior at the University of Florida pursuing a B.A. in English. Alongside minoring in Classical Studies, she harbors a (not so secret) passion for fashion magazines and musical theatre. Most of the time, you’ll find Anna daydreaming about the following things: what life would be like as a Disney princess, meeting lyrical genius Lin-Manuel Miranda, or any number of dashing Jane Austen heroes (especially Northanger Abbey’s Mr. Tilney). Follow her at www.annaburbano.com!