Bullet Journaling: A Step-By-Step Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

You may have heard the phrase “bullet journaling” randomly thrown around the web. It might have been a Facebook post, a Pinterest board or even a news article. Web users drop it here and there, but no one took the time to explain the somewhat cryptic phrase. So what is bullet journaling?

Bullet journaling is a productive way to plan and map out your day-to-day life. According to the official bullet journal website, Designer Ryder Carroll created the journaling system in 2013. He wanted a place to map out his short term and long-term goals in an efficient and productive manner. It replaces the conventional planner with a completely personalized system of organization. All it takes is an interest, imagination and a notebook. Here’s a quick guide to starting your very own bullet journal.

1. Picking out your journal.

Walk into the journal aisle of Barnes & Nobles and you’re faced with a wall of options. Where to begin? Here’s your starting line: portable and efficient. There’s no reason to get too fancy when it comes to bullet journaling. You want a journal that’s light enough to carry and small enough to fit in your purse. Another thing to consider is the type of paper you want in your journal; you can choose from lined, graph, dotted or blank pages. When it comes to finding a travel-sized, affordable journal with a simple design, I always find myself turning to the classic Moleskine. A hardcover notebook in size large comes to a total of $19.95. It may seem pricey for a journal, but you won’t find something with all the perks at the same size when it comes to a travel-sized journal.

2. Creating your key and index.

On the first and second pages of your journal is where you can place the index. This is where you will log your pages and lists that you want to find later. After titling the page “Index,” you list the page number and title of the page you want to find quickly. If you don’t have numbered pages in your journal, you can number them yourself by writing down the numbers in the bottom corner of your blank pages. On the page opposite your Index, write down the word “Key.” This is where you will write down a few symbols and their meaning. An empty box or “bullet” denotes a task that needs to be completed. A dash symbolizes a note you have written down. A circle represents an event. You can also add a star or exclamation point in front of a task if it is very important or needs to be completed quickly.

3. Setting up your monthly calendar.

Turn to your next blank page or “spread.” This is where you will set up your monthly calendar. Write the name of the month at the top of both pages. The left page will be your monthly calendar. You have the option of printing out a wall calendar template from the web or Pinterest and taping it in. If you would like to do something a little different, you can list the days of the month in a column with the days of the week in a second column. Next to each number, you write down the event you have for that day. On the right page, you jot down the major tasks or goals you have for that month.

4. Your first weekly spread.

On your next blank spread, you’ll start your weekly spread. This is where you plan out your week day by day. Start at the top of the left page and write out “Monday.” Leave some space and then write “Tuesday,” “Wednesday,” and so on. Your weekly spread is a space for you to prioritize your week and daily tasks. If you like, you can even include a little calendar of the week on the bottom of the right page. Here you can jot down any events, meetings or exams you have going on that week.

5. Ideas for pages.

You can split up your weekly spreads by including lists and themed pages in your bullet journal. If you have a trip coming up, you can use a page to jot down your packing list or write down things you want to do while you travel. Other page ideas include a book list, grocery shopping, a wish list, an exercise log, a sleep tracker or a page, just to write down anything that’s on your mind (otherwise known as a brainstorm page). Pages and lists are a great way to further personalize your bullet journal to your needs.

6. Letting your creativity flow.

While the original concept of the bullet journal is a minimalist approach to managing your time and prioritizing your tasks, there’s nothing wrong with decorating your pages along the way! I find that embellishing your weekly spreads and lists with little doodles and stickers can make your spreads equally aesthetic and productive.

Bullet journals were created as a way to organize your day in a creative and soothing way. Your journal should be an outlet: a place to write down tasks, organize events and prioritize your time. If you find your journal brings your more stress than joy maybe it’s time to reconsider the way in which your organize your day or design your spreads. It’s surprising what a large difference a small change can make. I hope you found this guide useful!

Are you a bullet-journaler? Do you have a spread you want to share with us? Tag us on Instagram (@HerCampusUFL) and use the hashtag #HerCampusUFL — we just might repost your designs!

Katherine McGuinness is a third year at the University of Florida pursuing an undergraduate degree in public relations. She is passionate about sustainability, art, and literature. She enjoys spending time in nature, studying at her favorite coffee shop, and attending the local farmers market.