Budget Busting: Winter Woes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It officially feels like winter in Gainesville. Yes, I the all-powerful Erica Hernandez have declared the beginning of the season. Actually, the cool November weather has declared winter in Gainesville. For some, winter is a happy occasion; for others, it is a season of spending. There are two options for surviving the season of giving: strategize or cut off all ties. That’s right; You either need to put the effort into planning and budgeting, or ruin all your relationships as soon as possible. The best option here is to obviously plan.

Here are some things you can start doing now to get ready for gift giving, holiday meal cooking, and winter wardrobe expansions:

1. Make lists—lots of them. Start planning your events, gifts and travels. Knowing now that you will be spending more than $100 alone on holiday gifts for your best friends should affect your spending.
            2. Go on a saving spree. The weather is so nice out, instead of wasting away in a movie theater or a club, have a picnic. Enjoy the cool air, a sunset, and a fresh pomegranate (they’re in season and usually on sale).
            3. Plan meals out. We are college students; therefore, getting free food is an instinctual skill. Since the holiday season is full of food, instead of eating it all at once, spread it out. Leftovers are great money saving meals, and holiday leftovers are simply delicious. So take that leftover turkey, or volunteer to take that barely touched green bean casserole home. Don’t let your friends get rid of the last bit of salad. All of this could be lunch and dinner for tomorrow.

Strategy is key here, ladies. Think about your game plan. Are you going to budget every last penny for gifts and save as much as you can on food for the next two months? That is surely one option, but you could also distribute evenly so you don’t run out of money. It’s your call.