Blogger Abroad: Exploring A New Country

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

When I decided to study abroad in England, I promised myself I wouldn’t overthink anything or let myself fall into the homebody habits I’m infamous for in Gainesville. I decided to step outside my comfort zone and wouldn’t have my roommate coaxing me out of a Netflix-induced coma every night.

I try to not dwell on things I can’t change, but I do have some regrets about the time I didn’t spend having fun and enjoying college while at UF. After mountains of paperwork, more money than I planned and a lot of anticipation, I refused to let my time abroad be wasted or unappreciated. In actuality, this amounted to constantly introducing myself and saying yes to literally every outing my entire first week in England. For someone who wished Netflix could be listed on a resume, this was exhausting.

The entire time I was yearning to hole up in my room and nap. But I stubbornly resisted my own laziness and it actually paid off. Who knew that putting yourself out there and meeting new people from all over the world could be fun, interesting and lead to some new friendships?

Making friends and meeting new people is the most important step to feeling at home in your host country. Personally, I often find it difficult to be outgoing, and the cultural boundaries made it seem even more daunting. It’s important to remember that everyone studying abroad is sharing the experience with you. Many people I’ve met have never traveled outside their home country, just like me, and were nervous about being so far from home. This unified experience calmed me and made me realize that this wonder and nervousness is all part of the study abroad experience.

Another facet of your overall experience is your accommodation. Though less important than making friends, making yourself feel safe and comfortable is an essential part of settling in to your host country.

I had a very long first day in England, which included a tour and a welcome talk, keeping me awake and jet-lagged for about 18 hours. Despite my exhaustion, I made sure to unpack and put all my belongings away as soon as I could. I wanted to make this tiny, dirty dorm room feel like my home and not a hotel room. I put a few photos from home on the walls along with some aesthetically appealing ads from a magazine to make the room less barren. These little things made my accommodation feel more welcoming and comfortable. Though the accommodation is homely, the city of Leicester is beautiful and charming. I took the opportunity to explore all the city has to offer before classes began. We found great places to eat, drink, study and shop.

I’ve fallen in love with what I jokingly call the “Gainesville of England” — a small, underestimated, walkable college town with great food and unique shops. My roommate and I have comfortably settled into an exceptionally worldly and diverse friend group, made ourselves at home and found the best places for coffee, Indian food and fries (sorry, chips!). I’m glad I took the time and energy to be present and friendly that first week.We now have wonderful and friendly people to travel, study, party and make memories with and plenty of tempting places to overindulge.

I’ve met people from across the world who’ve come to study for so many different reasons, but we’re all seeking worldliness, education and friendship, making it effortless to bond and have fun together.  

This weekend I’m taking my first excursion with a few friends to the Hungarian capital of Budapest! My next post will feature the do’s and don’ts of excursions — once I learn them firsthand, that is. Until next time, collegiettes.

Photo credit: Amy Coker

Amy Coker is a 3rd year English major with a minor in Women's Studies. This is her first year with Her Campus and she couldn't be more excited! After graduation, Amy hopes to find a hybrid career where she can write, act, read and publish books, and see plays for a living. Her job as a barista in combination with her major make her quite the stereotype. In her free time, Amy is usually watching Netflix and trying to force herself to go to the gym.