7 Reasons to Watch ‘The End of the F***ing World’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Despite its recent release on Netflix, The End of the F***ing World has already garnered massive media attention and has become a favorite to many. The eight-part series, which has been critically acclaimed for its incredible script and cinematography, centers around two British teenagers: James (played by Alex Lawther), a self-diagnosed psychopath, and Alyssa (played by Jessica Barden), a rebellious girl looking for an escape from her reality who becomes James’ next target.

If you’re looking for a new, entertaining show that’s totally worth your time, here’s why you should start watching The End of the F***ing World.

1. Humor

The clash of psychopathic behavior and a teen gone wild might not seem like a perfect setting for any comedy, but you can find tons of laughs in the show’s somewhat ridiculous storyline. The humor can be best described as dark, dry and witty, which elevates the storyline and takes you on an emotional roller coaster throughout the series. You will be quite surprised at how much humor can be packed into each episode.

2. Non-cliché

When a show has an opening line such as: “I’m 17, and I’m pretty sure I’m a psychopath,” there is no doubt that the episode will be anything but a typical light-hearted teenage story. While the show might seem like your run-of-the-mill teen romance based on its plot (a teenage guy and a teenage girl go on a road trip together), the fact that both characters are so twisted makes the show truly special. The uniqueness of this show really is what makes it so attractive and it will definitely keep you entertained.  

3. The characters  

James and Alyssa are the epitome of anti-hero couples. Their anti-establishment personalities saturate the narrative with impulsive behavior that keeps the drama alive. Their attitudes might not make them the most likable characters at first, but with every passing episode you will clearly be able to see their interesting emotional development.

4. The themes

The show is a great coming-of-age story that deals with themes of innocence vs. ignorance, empathy, mental health and suicide. Although the themes are not presented in the same way as your ordinary coming-of-age show or film, it touches on all of them in a perfect manner in a short timeframe.

5. Unexpected twists

Whether it’s a twist in the plot or in the character arc, The End of the F***ing World is loaded with action. Every episode will surely keep you on your toes and will leave you very satisfied.

6. Short episodes

With eight episodes that never exceed 22 minutes, the series is very binge-able and can probably be finished in three hours. The length of the show also makes for an engaging plot that is free of irrelevant subplots which might deter from the main story line and leaves you wanting more.

7. Soundtrack

With all the bloody romance and violent aspects of the show, the soundtrack infused with rock, indie, American blues, soul and even country music makes for the perfect background music. From Bernadette Carroll’s “Laughing on the Outside” to Julie London’s “The End of the World,” each song is perfectly integrated with each scene. 

Check out this playlist created by darcie2000 from Spotify with all the songs from the show.

When we want to start a new show, it can seem overwhelming as our packed schedules convince us we have no time for it. But with this many awesome reasons to watch The End of the F***ing World (including the shortness of the episodes), it’s definitely worth giving this show a go.

Jana is a graduate from the University of Florida with a degree in biology and a certificate in Spanish. She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, entertainment, the environment and everything in between.