6 Women on ‘The Crown’ Who Are Total Badasses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The award-winning Netflix original series The Crown has many admirable qualities. The costumes are unbelievable, the actors are impeccable, and the storylines are riveting. Personally, the female characters are my favorite part of the series. They are strong, independent role models; they don’t need a man to make it. The characters on The Crown range in how historically accurate their personalities and actions are, but fiction or nonfiction, these women are amazing. Even if you are not a history buff, you can still appreciate this show for the following seven characters.

1. Queen Mary

Although Queen Mary is not in the show for long, her presence makes an impact.

When Elizabeth unexpectedly inherits the throne at a young age, Queen Mary writes her a letter that changes the tone of the show. In essence, Mary tells Elizabeth that she is no longer Elizabeth Mountbatten, wife of Phillip and mother of their two children, but Elizabeth Regina, the sovereign of the British Empire. Queen Mary sticks to her guns and does all she can to protect the monarchy, even after the passing of her favorite son. Season 1, Episode 2 is the best episode for all us Queen Mary fans.

2. Venetia Scott

Venetia Scott is one of the fictional characters thrown into the real-life characters, although I like to imagine that a woman like Venetia did exist.

In The Crown, Venetia works for Winston Churchill, the British prime minister who faces criticism for being too old and fragile for the job. She’s a young woman trying to find her place in the world, but she holds her own when she interacts with the bull-headed Churchill. In Season 1, Episode 4, “Act of God,” Venetia inspires Churchill to take action against the pollution problems that plague London. Venetia may have only had a short run on the show, but she was definitely a memorable character to watch.

3. The Queen Mother

When I first watched the series (and yes, I am on my third go-around, I’m not ashamed), I did not care for the Queen Mother, mother of Queen Elizabeth II and Princess Margaret, and wife of the late King George VI. She seemed stuck in her ways and uptight; she was never the first person to want to adapt the monarchy to the world after World War II.

Once I saw more of her, I realized that she was just protective of her family. Her oldest daughter has one of the hardest jobs in the world, and she doesn’t want the pressure and exhaustion to affect her like it did to her beloved husband. My favorite Queen Mother episode is Season 1, Episode 8 where she is in Scotland; it was a touching episode that shows how much she truly has to give up to take care of her family. Queen Mother also has some of the best one-liners in the show, so watch out for those.

4. Eileen Parker

Eileen Parker was the wife of Michael Parker, the best friend and equerry to Prince Philip, the Queen’s husband.

The Crown paints Michael as a terrible husband; it’s the classic trope of the husband that is nice enough to the kids, but spends most of his time at work and with questionable woman. Eileen is advised by multiple people, including the Crown, to not file divorce as it would put Elizabeth and Philip’s marriage into a questionable light. At the end of the day, Eileen does what’s best for her and her children and files for divorce, forcing Michael to resign from his equerry role. This is a perfect example of doing what’s best for oneself despite what others may say. Eileen Parker was very much a real person and you can read more about this story in this Vanity Fair article.

5. Princess Margaret

Disney has taught us that princess should be quiet, submissive, and obedient. Princess Margaret, on the other hand, is bold, daring, and loves to take risks. She’s the younger sister of Queen Elizabeth II. They have very opposite personalities, since Elizabeth is more diligent and reserved and Margaret is fun and adventurous. As the younger sister of the Queen, Margaret’s life is practically out of her control.

In the first season, she isn’t allowed to marry the man she loves. In the second season, her wishes constantly take a second seat to her sister. Margaret is an inspiration because she does what she wants in any capacity she can. Young girls are often lead in a domestic direction, but girls should be allowed to be whoever they wish to be. Margaret shows her individuality through her dialogue, but also through her clothing choices. Princess Margaret was a fashion icon in her time, and is definitely the best-dressed on The Crown. In season 3 of the show, Margaret will be played by Helena Bonham Carter, an actress who is no stranger to playing fierce roles.

6. Queen Elizabeth II

I believe I saved the best for last with this one. I did not know much about Queen Elizabeth II before watching the series, but she is now one of my role models. This woman, in the show and in real life, tackled a very difficult job with grace and dignity. She does what is best for her people, even if that means exhaustion and personal sacrifice. Although her marriage may seem rocky at some points, she continues to work at it and never gives up.

Queen Elizabeth II should be on every young woman’s radar just by how she deals with men. As Queen, Elizabeth is surrounded by entitled, rich men who question her decisions, but she knows her worth and almost always shows those men wrong. My favorite line of the whole series comes from the episode “Pride and Joy” when Elizabeth states that “I am aware that I am surrounded by people who feel that they could do the job better. Strong people with powerful characters, more natural leaders, perhaps better-suited to leading from the front, making a mark. But, for better or worse, the Crown has landed on my head.” Go, Elizabeth! You show those men who’s in charge! I could go on endlessly about Elizabeth, but you just have to watch the show. She shines in every episode, and the best part is, she’s a real woman still leading the British monarchy today.

From the women in The Crown, we learn that we should believe in ourselves and our abilities, stay true to what we believe in, and never let a man deter us from what we want. Do yourself a favor and watch this show. You won’t regret it.

Courtney is a freshman majoring in History with a minor in Dance. This is her first semester writing for Her Campus UFL and she's so excited to have this opportunity! Courtney enjoys reading Jane Austen classics, traveling to new places all over the globe, and eating maybe too much Ben and Jerry's ice cream. She's a sister of Delta Nu Zeta, a service sorority on campus, and loves being able to help the community and grow as a proud member of the Gator Nation!