6 Ways to Prepare for the Royal Wedding

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

When I was a freshman in high school, I vividly remember begging my mom to let me stay home from school to watch Prince William and Kate Middleton get married. I had my dreaded Spanish class that day, but with a lot of convincing, I was able to persuade her that the wedding was going to be the royal event of my lifetime. I was obsessed. I watched every movement made throughout the day and savored every minute.

Little did I know I would be #blessed to see another one so soon. If you haven’t heard yet, Prince Harry and American actress Meghan Markle are getting married, and as a fan of both human beings, I couldn’t be more excited.

As they prepare for the big day on May 19, so can you, with these six steps.

1. Set an alarm

The time zones are different. If you want to watch the entire wedding from start to finish, an alarm is necessary, and so is coffee.

2. Make snacks beforehand

The movements seem so minimal, and the commentary can be a little boring you’re not going to want to leave the couch. Have some easy-to-grab snacks at arm’s reach.  

3. Read up on them as individuals

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are incredibly cute and dynamic together but also as individuals. Markle is a feminist and activist. She even ran a lifestyle website called The Tig. Prince Harry, like his mother Princess Diana, has spent his life helping others around the world. They’re going to do great things together.

4. Watch the Lifetime movie

Lifetime movies are the most precious gift to this world. Is it going to be Oscar-worthy? No. However, it is the most perfect dramatized version of actual events.

5. Host a viewing party

Send out an old-school invite or a group text, gather your friends and pile on the couch for what will be the best hour of your life.

6. Understand the history

The marriage alone is so monumental. Not only is Markle an American – she’s an actress who has was previously married. While that doesn’t sound too crazy, it is. Marriage between a royal and divorcee was so looked down upon in early history. Prince Harry’s great uncle Edward VIII had to resign from his position as king when he married Wallis Simpson. Watch The Crown on Netflix, and you’ll get it.

While there may be a little over a month until the big day, it’s never too early to get prepared.