jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Reasons Why you Need ABC’s Scandal in Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Good news, collegiettes! Scandal‘s fifth season returns on Sept. 24 at 9 p.m. on ABC. Whether you are a hard core fan like I am or you’ve never seen or heard of the show, here are six reasons you need this popular TV drama in your life.

1. Olivia Pope is the ultimate bada**.Pope has a fierce attitude combined with beauty, intelligence and talent. She runs her own high-powered business, a crisis management company, where she is an expert to politicians and other high ranking people in Washington D.C. She calls her team the Gladiators and does her best to get justice. She has everyone from the president to CEOs begging her for expertise. Her strength and bravery, especially against the most powerful people in the world, will inspire your inner bada**. Basically, she’s the definition of #lifegoals.

2. You never know what will happen.Scandal is definitely one of the most exciting and unpredictable shows on television because there are so many twists and turns. Whether it’s her CIA secret operative’s dad causing trouble, her terrorist linked mother getting in the way or that time she got kidnapped, Scandal will make your jaw drop. Every. Single. Time.

3. It’s fast-paced.Unlike some shows that stretch out plots over way too many seasons (*cough cough Pretty Little Liars*) or shows that you “have to get into” by watching half a season (**cough cough House of Cards**), every single episode is action-packed. I was hooked within five minutes of the pilot. In fact, so much happens in every episode that it’s very easy to miss important plot points, so you better put your phone down because you may miss a murder from a quick Instagram scroll.

4. There is a beautiful eye candy love triangle.Captain Jake Ballard (played by Scott Foley) and President Fitzgerald “Fitz” Grant (played by Tony Goldwyn) compete for Pope’s love. Foley looks great in his uniform but even better without his shirt, which happened multiple times last season. Also, Goldwyn is also pretty easy on the eyes if I do say so myself. The great news is that these two hunks will be big parts of this upcoming season.

5. Kerry Washington is an amazing actress.She does such a great job portraying her character. She makes you connect on a very emotional level to Pope and the entire show. Washington has been nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award for “Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series,” a Screen Actors Guild Award for “Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series” and a Golden Globe Award for “Best Actress in a Television Series.” The list of nominations says it all — this woman has some serious talent!

6. Celebrities are obsessed, too!Bill Clinton, Justin Bieber, Paula Abdul, Naomi Campbell, Mary J. Blige, Lena Dunham and P!nk (just to name a few) have shared their Scandal love on social media. Blige once even tweeted “Can’t wait to get home to watch Scandal!”

If this article hasn’t convinced you of the fact that you need this TV drama in your life, I’m not quite sure what will. T-minus one week until Scandal‘s season five premiere — let the countdown begin!

Photo credit:www.awesomelyluvvie.com

Hey! My name is Jean and I write for Her Campus UFL. I am a sophomore and my major is political science. I love working out, watching netflix, shopping, having fun with friends, going to the beach, and eating (especially chipotle). I hope you enjoy my stories. Go Gators