6 Books You Need To Read (That You Probably Haven’t Yet)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I know there’s a solid number of collegiettes™ out there looking for a good read to start the Fall semester with. I know I was at this point last year. But with so many options out there, where do you begin? Do you want a steamy romance, something funny and quirky or both? Do you want a bada**, butt-kicking lead character or a lead who reminds you of shy, reserved version of yourself? Do you want out-there fiction or something you can relate to? Whatever you’re looking for, we’ve got you covered!

1. The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater

Why this series is awesome: absolutely gorgeous writing, quirky descriptions, swoon-worthy male leads and a fantasy plot that isn’t predictable or overdone.

Brief synopsis: Blue Sargent suddenly gets wrapped up in the quest of four private-schoolboys to find the grave of a Welsh king. Surrounded by psychics her whole life, Blue is used to the mystical, but suddenly things get a lot darker when she realizes someone else is searching for the same thing.

Perfect for: fans of urban fantasy (think Harry Potter and The Mortal Instruments); readers who are sick of typical love arcs; anyone looking for something exciting, thrilling and a bit spooky; or any fan of psychics and tarot cards.

And it also has: a 1973 orange Camaro called the Pig.

2. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Why this book is awesome: stars a snarky female lead in a rich fantasy world, a love triangle that won’t make your eyes roll, and some really spooky villains.

Brief synopsis: The most notorious assassin in the land, Celaena Sardothien, has been released from prison to compete in the corrupt king’s competition to find a Royal Assassin. For Celaena, this means eventual freedom. But as she discovers the deadly secrets of the kingdom, she’ll have to consider the cost.

Perfect for: Game of Thrones and Hunger Games fans (It’s been described as a combination of the two!); readers who want a bada** heroine who doesn’t tolerate nonsense; or anyone looking for a fantasy read.

And it also has: a lot of wonderfully written steamy scenes.

3. 13 Little Blue Envelopes (and its sequel—The Last Little Blue Envelope) by Maureen Johnson

Why this book is awesome: It’s funny, quirky, charming and thought-provoking. It also has a certain sadness to it — a very realistic sort of sadness.

Brief synopsis: After her eccentric artist Aunt Peg died, Ginny was left with a mysterious package with very specific instructions that reveal 13 blue envelopes and send her on a journey around Europe.

Perfect for: People who love to travel or want to travel; people who like art; John Green fans (Maureen Johnson is basically John Green’s adopted little sister. They’ve said so on their web shows.).

And it also has: a scene where the main character attends Starbucks: The Musical.

4. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë  

Why this book is awesome: If you love the more popular Brontë sisters (Charlotte and Emily wrote Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights respectively), you’ll definitely like this one by the lesser-known sister. What’s different about Anne’s book is that instead of having a mysterious, brooding male lead, it has a mysterious, brooding female lead with a dark secret!

Brief synopsis: The mysterious and beautiful lady who has just moved into the neighborhood intrigues Gilbert Markham, but as he tries to get to know her, she pushes him away out of fear of him discovering her dark past.

Perfect for: historical romance fans or anyone who loves Jane Austen and the Bron sisters.

And it also has: a reputation for being one of the first feminist novels.

5. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Why this book is awesome: It’s a very accurate portrayal of a shy girl’s first year at college — a must-read for anyone who’s scared about starting at a big state school.

Brief synopsis: Cath feels more comfortable writing Fan Fiction than doing anything else, and at one point in her life her twin sister, Wren, shared the same love. But Wren has grown away from the more serious aspects of fan life, and as the two start their first year of university, they are rooming apart for the first time in their lives. Cath must adjust to the fast-paced college life, the new people and finally come out of her shell.

Perfect for: anyone who has ever read or written Fan Fiction, anyone who self-describes as a ‘fangirl,’ anyone who misses Harry Potter as much as I do, or anyone who’s nervous about starting their first semester of college.

And it also has: excerpts of Cath’s fan fiction.

6. Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

Why this book is awesome: I’ll be perfectly honest and say I thought I would hate this book when I picked it up. Beauty queens aren’t really at the top of my list, nor are beauty pageants. But I like Libba Bray. I like her a lot, so I decided to give this book a try. And never have I been more wrong about judging a book by its cover. This book is the epitome of girl power. Every single female in this book is strong in her own way, even the ones who don’t seem like it at first. Plus, it is absolutely hilarious.

Brief synopsis: When the plane carrying the contestants of the Miss Teen Dream contest crashes on an island, the 50 participants are stranded — torn between finding a way off the island to survive and practicing for the contest. But there’s a larger scheme at work, involving the crazy dictator of a rogue nation, who wants to use the competition and the company sponsoring it to his own advantage.

Perfect for: everyone — basically required reading for all girls out there (and all boys too for that matter).

And it also has: a ship full of hot pirates.

If you’re looking for a fun read to curl up with during your break between classes or right before bed, try checking out one of these. They’re sure to keep you interested and hooked till the last page. Happy reading, collegiettes™!

Photo credits: 
www.starlightbookreviews.com  
www.booknerd.ca 
www.theprettybooks.wordpress.com 
www.silverfysh.wordpress.com 
www.pottertalk.net  
www.ashleychristiano.wordpress.com

Petrana Radulovic is a senior studying English and Computer Science. She hopes to be a writer someday and live in the Pacific Northwest, where she will undoubtedly divide her time between sipping coffee at a local café and sipping coffee in her living room, working on her latest story. She enjoys singing when she thinks she’s the only person at home, obsessively watching America’s Next Top Model, and wearing all black no matter what the weather. In her future, she sees many cats and many books and many mugs. She is currently the Senior Editor for HerCampus UFL, but writes the occasional article because she can't help herself. This is her sixth semester with HerCampus.
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.