thought catalog xVRdDDe6M1A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
thought catalog xVRdDDe6M1A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 5 Types of People Who Use Snapchat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

If you’re sitting in class, at the library or virtually anywhere, really, don’t be surprised if you see a girl pull out her phone and take a quick selfie. The Snapchat phenomenon has grown exponentially since the popular app was created in 2011, especially on college campuses. It’s now almost socially acceptable to make the duckface in public. Here are five kinds of Snapchatters we love to hate. But first, let me take a selfie.

The My Story Queen Snapchat introduced the My Story feature last year, which gave users the option to send a 10-second picture or video to all of their Snap friends — a true game changer. Why send the selfie of you out at Balls to only a dozen pals when you can blast it to everyone you know? As always, with great power comes great responsibility, and some Snapchat users just can’t handle that. Instead of having one or two pictures as part of their My Story, they blast every single photo they’ve ever taken to all of their in-app friends. If your My Story is more than 200 seconds long, you can guarantee I won’t be watching it.

The ArtistWe all have that one friend who is the Picasso of Snapchat. She takes a moderately attractive selfie, and then she draws an elaborate doodle covering the entire screen except for her face to create some type of scene. From drawing a sombrero on her head and a mustache on her face to giving herself a crown and doodling Prince Harry next to her, the Snapchat Artist goes above and beyond the normal user. But watch out: The Artist may typically focus her talents on herself, but you might become the victim of her next piece of art if you’re close enough!

The FOMO-Inducing Snapchatter This category goes out to all the girls who suffer from FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) due to Snapchat. During all those nights you’re stuck on the third floor of Library West slaving away on WebAssign, you always have that one friend sending you videos of themselves dancing on the bar at Fat Daddy’s. Nothing makes you realize you’re missing out quicker than a Snap of all your friends having fun without you. Stay strong, though. Soon enough you’ll be able to venture out of the library and send out your own fun Snaps.

The Screenshotter Remember when we were all young and naïve and didn’t realize that Snaps could be screenshot? Oh, the good ol’ days. Now, we all know that if you’re sending a particularly heinous Snap, you better make it one second long or else some evil soul will screenshot it to keep for eternity. These screenshots will proceed to end up on your Facebook wall or a birthday collage on Instagram every year for many years to come. Think twice before you send out that Snap of yourself looking cross-eyed with 12 chins, or that picture might come back to haunt you!

The ConversationalistYou can include around seven words as the caption for your Snap. Yet, with just seven words, some people will try to communicate with you exclusively via a nine-second picture. The Conversationalist will make plans for going out, ask you about your day and sometimes even flirt through their Snaps. While a Snapchat conversation with a cute boy is better than no conversation at all, it’s definitely the lowest form of social media interaction. Here’s to hoping that the cute boy stops Snapping and starts texting.

From causing FOMO to inciting flirtationships, Snapchat offers a wide range of communication options for its users. Whether your making duckfaces or double chins, the options are endless. What are your favorite Snapchat stories, collegiettes™? Leave a comment below and let us know!

Photo credit: www.100milesfromthesea.tumblr.com