The 5 Types of Bags You Need in Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

As a busy collegiette, you are always running around to different classes, traveling or going out at night, which makes it important to be prepared no matter what the situation may be! I myself love bags of all different styles, colors and designs. Big or small, there is always a necessity in your day for at least one bag to carry all of your “school items” a.k.a. makeup, wallet and your cell phone. Here’s a list of the five types of bags you need in your life.

1. Duffel: Planning on traveling abroad this summer or even going on a weekend trip to visit a friend? Then the duffel is your bag of choice. Duffels are perfect as your carry-on bag for an airplane because they can easily squish in the overhead compartment or under your seat when someone with an oversized bag and a first class seat takes all of the space. Duffels are available in a variety of colors, sizes and fabrics. Vera Bradley has cute duffels that can surprisingly fit a ton of clothes. They come in cute prints and will easily fit on tiny airplanes when your only option is squishing your bag under your chair. Victoria’s Secret also does promotions where you can get duffel bags for free! I’ve been using a free duffel bag from there for the past three years and it has survived flights to New York City and Italy.

2. Tote: The tote bag is my favorite bag of choice for class. Tote bags can easily hold your laptop as well as textbooks, and they have a much cuter look that backpacks tend to. Tote bags come in different sizes, from giant ones you can use at the beach to small ones that are good for using when traveling at the airport.

3. Purse: This is the bag that’s worth splurging on. Purses are your typical bag for shopping at the mall, therefore it’s fun to splurge on a designer purse in bright, fun colors. Purses can be very personal and tell a ton about one’s personality. For example, someone carrying a neutral colored designer purse may be classy and professional. Someone carrying a brightly colored purse may be vibrant and fun. Someone carrying a designer purse in a bright color? Now, that’s a fashionista.

4. Crossbody: These are perfect for days that are expected to be long, whether you are spending an entire day at Gasparilla or a day exploring a foreign city. Crossbody bags are smaller than a purse, but larger than a wristlet so they are able to hold your phone, money, makeup and sometimes even your sunglasses! Crossbody bags are very popular right now and can be found at stores like Forever 21, PacSun and Macy’s.

5. Wristlet: Perfect for nights out in Gainesville, wristlets are great because you don’t even have to hold them! They simply hang off your wrists, which keeps your hands free all night long. Wristlets are usually about the size of a large wallet. They can hold both your phone and money, and you will never have to worry about setting your bag down and forgetting it somewhere. Wristlets are also a good bag to use at theme parks.

These five types of bags are totally worth investing in as a busy collegiette. You’ll be prepared for spontaneous weekend trips, last-minute nights out on the town and runs to the mall when you need your weekly shopping fix. Whether you go designer or knock-off, choose whatever suits your style and whatever you’ll get the most use out of. Bags can tie together an outfit as a whole, so choose wisely and pick ones that match with your entire wardrobe!

Photo credit:businessoffashion.com

Hey I'm Spencer! I'm a senior journalism major with a leadership minor here at UF. I love traveling to different countries, running half marathons and spending time with my friends. This past summer I had two pr and marketing internships in NYC with fashion labels JOVANI and REISS. I'll be graduating and moving back to NYC this December.