5 Strategies to Not Break Your New Year’s Fitness Resolution this Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The holidays are over and we’re all thinking of hitting up the gym after all that eggnog we’ve had! With classes and reality back in session, keeping that gym life resolution becomes a tad bit more difficult after the second week. Check out these tips to not break your fittest New Year’s resolution yet.

1. Keep a schedule
Time management is key to accomplishing any goal, including your fitness schedule. Find a fitness routine that works best for you. If you have a busy day ahead and don’t mind waking up early (don’t hit the snooze button!), early morning exercise is your best fit. If waking up early is just not going to happen, exercise later on during the day. Pick a time of day when you are most energetic and stick to it!

2. Keep it fun
I’m not going to lie — it’s a drag heading to the gym after weeks or months of not going. Once you get into the swing of things, you will learn to treasure your time in the gym, but make sure to keep it interesting. If you’re going to the gym several times a week, try experimenting with different types of exercises so you don’t get bored of the same routine. Take a group fitness class and step out of your comfort zone!

3. Find a workout buddy
Most people find it easier to stick to a workout schedule when they are working out with someone else. So get a focused friend to work out with. Working out with a buddy is great motivation, and positive reinforcement is a must when you feel like giving up.

4. Be patient
They say it takes 21 days to form a new habit and about six months for it to become a personality, so give yourself time and stay persistent! Strong and steady wins the race, right?

5. Treat yourself
Don’t reach for that tub of Ben & Jerry’s just yet. Treat yourself for focusing on your resolution with something that supports it, such as new fitness clothing or maybe even some of that low-fat ice cream.

Photo credits: gumbofitness.com

Natalie Cardenas is a fourth year Political Science and Spanish major at the University of Florida. She is from Miami, so Spanglish is basically her first language. She enjoys watching Friends, obsessing over stationery, and lives in black leggings. This past summer she interned with Latina Magazine in NYC, and fell in love with the city life. She plans on booking a one way ticket to the Big Apple after graduation.  
Victoria is a junior journalism major at the University of Florida. As a writer for Her Campus, she enjoyed writing about fashion and giving advice to readers. She is currently a senior editor of Her Campus UFL and is in training to become the chapter's next Campus Correspondent. Outside of class and Her Campus, you can find Victoria scoping out cute boys with friends, longboarding around campus, or hanging out with her Alpha Omicron Pi sisters. She enjoys traveling to new cities, spending time outside, drinking toffee nut iced coffees, shopping, trying new types of food and working for Her Campus!