5 Reasons to Apply for Her Campus UFL

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Spring in Gainesville means a lot of things — new classes, basketball season, free Saturdays with no football gamedays and, best of all, new opportunities! For all of you new and returning collegiettes, that’s where Her Campus UFL comes in. But wait, what is Her Campus? Her Campus is the No. 1 community for college women both online and offline. HC UFL is one of 230+ chapters around the world that supplement local content for the national content provided by Her Campus National. We’re a collegiette’s guide to life at UF. 

Our chapter is made up of about 60 awesome Gator Girls who have been awarded a PINK Chapter Level — the highest level chapters can achieve. 

HC UFL has become a prominent student organization on campus, and we want you to join our team! What better way to get involved (whether you’re a girl or a boy, a freshman or a senior), than to join an amazing staff at a leading online publication?! Positions available this semester include everything from writers and bloggers to PR/events interns and social media managers.

To apply, visit our Facebook Notes section for descriptions of each position available on our team! Applications are due: Tuesday, December 30 at midnight. If you have any questions, feel free to directly reach out to our new Campus Correspondent, Victoria Messina at victoriamessina@hercampus.com for help.

Still not convinced? Here are the top five reasons you should apply to join Her Campus UFL straight from the mouths of current and former members of our team.

5. You don’t have to be enrolled in the College of Journalism and Communications! All majors are welcome!Her Campus connects UF students in ways they may not have otherwise thought about. Regardless of gender, major, year in school, sexual orientation, etc., there’s a place for you on our team. As long as you’re an undergraduate student at UF, you’re eligible to apply!

“Being a pre-pharmacy major hasn’t made it harder to be a part of the team. Instead, it has allowed me to expand my range of interests and meet people that I would have otherwise not been exposed to.” – Sam Ricchini, Social Media Director. 

4. HC UFL affects our team members even after they graduate from UF.Her Campus launches the careers of its team. Since joining HC, members have been offered jobs and internships with Glamour, Vogue, Seventeen, Marie Clair, People, The Huffington Post, Teen Vogue, MTV, and more! Our team members specifically have secured jobs and internships at Her Campus National, Fox 4 News, MECLABS, College Fashionista, SELF and more! Our former Campus Correspondent, Cara Chiaramonte, is even moving to Boston this Spring to work full-time for Her Campus National! Here’s what some of our HC UFL alums had to say about their experience: 

“Serving as president of UF’s Her Campus [chapter] helped me develop management skills. There are so many moving pieces that make a chapter successful whether it’s the writers, PR team or events team. Learning how to manage all of those individuals and teams set me up for success professionally beacuas eI can now better empathize with my bosses.” – Allison Banko, former Campus Correspondent

“As a public relations graduate, Her Campus UFL was a huge asset to gaining confidence in event planning and professionally managing social media, especially Facebook and Twitter.” – Alison Pondo, former Facebook/Twitter Manager and former Sorority Rep. Coordinator

“Working with HC was my first exposure to using public relations through Facebook. Even though we all use Facebook to promote our extremely important status updates and Instagram selfies, being able to scroll through the updated articles for HC UFL and pick the one that my friends would most identify with was a good lesson in targeted messaging.” – Alexa Gedigan, former PR/Events Intern

“HC helped me develop professionally through teaching me how to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds toward a common goal. When you learn how to be a team player, your opportunities are limitless in the real world.” – Shelby Boehm, former Blog Editor

3. Free stuff and awesome events!Every semester, we host 2-3 on-campus events, social media contests or freebie giveaways. In the past, we’ve partnered with UF’s Victoria’s Secret PINK team to host our Love Your Body Day in which we promoted self-love and acceptance by offering a photo booth, bra sizing and free Victoria’s Secret giveaways like bras and yoga pants. 

“The on-campus events we host every semester are a blast. They give us a chance to actually interact with the students who are reading our website every week. Plus, it’s fun because students go crazy over free stuff!” – Victoria Messina, the new Campus Correspondent 

“Not only did I gain tons of blogging and PR experience, but I also get to attend so many cool events on campus. Our events are a lot of fun, especially when we partner with other on-campus organizations. It doesn’t hurt that I get some free swag out of it too.” – Abbie Dorwart, Assistant PR/Events Director, Pinterest Manager & former Blogger

2. Professional ExperienceGetting involved in college is certainly for having fun, but that’s not all! Her Campus offers you the chance to obtain valuable skills you can use both professionally and personally. As a part of our team, you’ll work hands-on with other college students to publicize, write and plan events for our publication.

“Her Campus provided me with not only the chance to gain valueable writing experience, but also to meet other women on my campus with similar interests. We can brainstorm ideas at meetings, then meet for coffee after and talk about our favorite television show. It really is the best of both worlds! – Julia Sullivan, former Writer

“HC taught me how to manage and work in a team setting. I got to learn hands-on how to get information to the public.” – Lisa Greenberg, former Public Relations Director

“The experience and freedom you get working with HC UFL is amazing. You can write about what interests you, and whether it’s in your articles or in team meetings, you always feel like you ahve a voice. You get the opportunity to build your portfolio for the future and have fun doing so!” – Kelli Eichorn, Gator Glam Blogger

1. Make new friends and work with amazing young collegiettes™ HC UFL is comprised of team members who are in sororities and others who are not. Our organization brings together UF students who otherwise may not have spent any time together at all. We come from different backgrounds, but we all have at least one thing in common: a passion for Her Campus and all things collegiette!

“I was never a ‘sorority girl’ but this serves as a different kind of sisterhood.” – Cara Chiaramonte, former Campus Correspondent/Editor-in-Chief

“The girls of HC UFL are kind, funny, creative and successful. These are the types of friends you want to surround yourself with throughout your college years and beyond.” – Kelli Eichorn, Gator Glam Blogger

APPLY FOR HC UFL TODAY! Applications are due TUESDAY, DECEMBER 30 at MIDNIGHT.

Victoria is a junior journalism major at the University of Florida. As a writer for Her Campus, she enjoyed writing about fashion and giving advice to readers. She is currently a senior editor of Her Campus UFL and is in training to become the chapter's next Campus Correspondent. Outside of class and Her Campus, you can find Victoria scoping out cute boys with friends, longboarding around campus, or hanging out with her Alpha Omicron Pi sisters. She enjoys traveling to new cities, spending time outside, drinking toffee nut iced coffees, shopping, trying new types of food and working for Her Campus!