diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Benefits of Having Early Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Maybe you were late for class registration; maybe it was the only section available; or maybe you actually made a conscious decision to schedule your classes earlier in the day. Whatever the reason may be, you’re stuck with early classes. There are going to be mornings when your alarm goes off and you can’t even fathom getting out of bed, but take a look on the bright side of things. Here are some of the benefits of being a morning lark to motivate you to get out of bed and embody the proverbial early bird:

1. Better grades in school According to a 2008 study at a Texas University, students who identified themselves as a morning people received an average 3.5 GPA, which was a full point higher than the 2.5 GPA of their night owl counterparts. That’s a pretty stark difference for a study that surveyed more than 800 students! All of you collegiettes™ stuck with early labs and lectures can wake up each morning knowing that the chances for success in school are statistically in your favor.

2. Higher mental stability According to a Harvard researcher in a 2010 study, morning people were described as more agreeable, optimistic, proactive, conscientious, and satisfied with life. Meanwhile, evening people were described as pessimistic, neurotic, and depressed. With the stress of classes, exams, work, and other obligations, all of us could use a little more optimism in our life!

3. Higher productivity Working late at Library West always tends to follow a prescribed pattern: waste time in the never-ending line at Starbucks, roam the entire building for hours searching for a study spot, and once you finally get settled in, bump into friends that you just have to catch up with in lengthy conversation. Because early mornings tend to be a less popular time for class, you can enjoy the blissful lull of a peaceful, serene campus while actually being productive instead of competing with the rest of the student body for study spots.

4. Healthier eating habits A 2011 Northwestern University study found a correlation between going to bed late and poorer eating habits. According to the study, late sleepers ate almost 250 more calories per day than the early birds. But that’s not all. Late sleepers also chose to eat more fast food and less fresh fruit and vegetables throughout the day than morning people. Whether it’s because the variety of food options available throughout the day is lacking or because of a difference in attitudes among morning and evening people, waking up early is clearly associated with healthier physical and mental being.

5. Successful people endorse it If all of these mental and physical benefits aren’t enough to get you out of bed, check out the morning routines of these fabulously successful women:

• Anna Wintour, Vogue editor-in-chief, plays tennis every day at 5:45 a.m.
  • Gwyneth Paltrow, actress, singer, and food writer, wakes up at 4:30 a.m. to do yoga.
  • Rachel Ray, chef and talk-show host, wakes up at 5:45 a.m. to run 3.5 miles before work.
  • Indra Nooyi, CEO of PepsiCo, wakes up at 4 a.m. every day and is at work by 7 a.m.  
  • Former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice woke up at 4:30 a.m. every day before work to make it to the gym.
  • First Lady Michelle Obama always makes personal fitness a priority, even if she has to wake up at 4:30 a.m. to make it happen.
  • Michelle Gass, former Starbucks president, has woken up at 4:30 a.m. to go for a run before work every day for the past 15 years.
  • Margaret Thatcher, former UK prime minister, always woke up in time to catch the morning news at 5 a.m.

As difficult as it may be some days, just remember all of these advantages to being an early riser next time your hand strays to the snooze button in the morning. The morning is a beautiful time, and with the right attitude, you can definitely maximize its benefits. Rise and shine, collegiettes™! 

Photo Credits:www.iamstem.ucdavis.edu www.timberlineknolls.com www.youvisit.com www.inserbia.info www.xxlmag.com

Antara Sinha is a sophomore journalism/pre-med major at the University of Florida. She is a contributing writer for USA Today College, and this is her third semester as a writer for Her Campus UFL. Her interests include health, science and lifestyle writing, and she plans on pursing medical and science journalism.
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.