3 Dorm-Approved Breakfasts To Satisfy Your Inner Foodie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Take a moment to close your eyes and imagine a scenario… It’s about 8:45 am and you’re sitting in class—the 2nd period calc class that you signed up for because you thought it was going to be a productive semester, but now you’re slowly starting to regret it. Suddenly, your stomach begins to grumble, and you think back to earlier in the morning when you slept through your alarm and got up exactly five minutes before the class started—and you didn’t bother to put on a bra or change your clothes, but managed to throw your hair up in the somewhat-edgy messy bun. That leaves you to this moment, sitting in calculus tired, bored, and most importantly: dreaming about food.

If this sounds anything like you, then be grateful for stumbling across this article. I have three quick and easy breakfast recipes (all dorm approved!) that will help you fuel up and stay focused for your early morning classes.

1. Blueberry Muffin Overnight Oats

This first recipe is perfect if you related at all to the scenario given in the intro. You can make this the night before and have it ready to grab and go while you’re scrambling to get out of your dorm! You can also make a larger batch as a meal prep and scoop it into a bowl or a reusable cup throughout the weak.

Ingredients:

• ½ cup of Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
  • ½ cup of Almond Milk (or any milk of choice)
  • 1 table spoon of Chia Seeds
  • 2 teaspoons of Cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
  • 1 tablespoon of Maple Syrup
  • ½ cup of Blueberries

Directions:

Combine all ingredients and put it in the fridge overnight.

In the morning, I like to stop my oats with fresh banana and a drizzle of honey. This breakfast is super easy if you’re in a rush and have no time. It is also super healthy! Oats are full of fiber, and will keep you full for a long time so you don’t have to worry about those awkward stares you get when your stomach starts grumbling in the middle of class. Using a non-dairy milk will eliminate any unhealthy saturated fat and sugar, just make sure the non-dairy milk is unsweetened! Blueberries are full of antioxidants that will help your tired skin glow early in the morning. Cinnamon is a natural anti-inflammatory and helps regulate blood-sugar levels. Also, the elimination of processed sugar is a huge health bonus. So, if you want a simple and delicious grab and go breakfast that is also healthy, give this recipe a try.

2. Avocado Toast with Hard-Boiled Egg

I know what you may be thinking: avocado toast? So basic. Yes, this classic breakfast may seem basic at first, but you shouldn’t throw shade just yet! Avocado toast is high in healthy fat and putting an egg on top adds protein, this means it will keep you full for a long time so you won’t have to worry about hunger pains during class. I love starting my day with healthy fat and protein because it keeps me full and is amazing fuel for your body. This recipe is quick to put together if you have all the ingredients ready to go.

Ingredients:

• 2 slices of Whole Wheat Bread
  • 1 small ripe Avocado
  • 1 Hard-Boiled Egg
  • 1 teaspoon of Sea Salt
  • 1 teaspoon of Black pepper

Directions:

Toast Bread.

Cut avocado in half and add to toasted bread.

Slice hard-boiled egg and add to avocado toast.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

I’m a huge believer in the power of avocado toast no matter how basic it seems! I usually pop the bread in the toaster while I’m getting ready so I don’t waste any precious time, and I switch up the toppings often. I love adding mango to my avocado toast which is inspired by the beautiful 3 Natives cafe, or adding sliced tomato and red onion to make it more savory. You can’t go wrong with this delicious breakfast!

3. Yogurt Parfait

I remember of summer B relying heavily on the Starbucks premade yogurt parfaits to curb my appetite during my morning class. However, frequently buying this delicious treat added up not only in my bank account, but also in sugar! Below is a tasty recipe for a similar parfait that will save you money and is a healthier choice. It is also super quick to put together the night before, so you don’t have to spare time in the morning.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup of Plain Greek Yogurt
  • 1 cup of Mixed Berries
  • ½ cup of Granola
  • 1 tablespoon of Honey

Directions:

Layer ingredients with yogurt at the bottom and fruit on the top.

Add the granola the morning of to prevent getting soggy.

Drizzle honey on the top to add some more sweetness.

This breakfast is a personal favorite because I have a serious sweet tooth. The protein in the Greek yogurt will help keep you full, and the fresh fruit is full of antioxidants and healthy carbs. Adding a low sugar granola adds fiber, and is the best part of the parfait! This is super easy to put in a to-go cup and leave in the fridge overnight so you can quickly put the granola on top and head out the door in the morning.

I hope these recipes help relieve those early morning hunger pains, and help you to stay focused during those dreadful morning classes. And I hope you found inspiration to make your own recipes. All the breakfasts shown above are easy to adjust to your own likes and dislikes, so be sure to give them a try!

Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.