yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

10 Autumn Date Ideas That Won’t ‘Fall’ Flat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It’s officially cuffing season! That means warm cuddles, pumpkin-flavored kisses and cute dates. If you are in that category of people currently off-the-market this autumn and are looking for some cute, fall-themed date ideas (but are also on a college budget), here are the perfect date ideas for you and your cuddle-buddy.

1. Pumpkin Patches and Carving Pumpkins (duh!)

Fall date ideas? The first thing to come to everyone’s mind is pumpkin patches, of course. Gainesville is home to an amazing pumpkin patch at Trinity United Methodist Church. Fun for dates or for friends, pumpkin patches make for great pictures and can prompt more entertaining activities later — pumpkin carving anyone? And after you finish carving your pumpkin, you can continue the festivities by using the remains to bake some yummy snacks.

2. Apple Picking

Okay, so apple orchards may not really be a thing in Florida, but how cute are all those Instagrams pics you see of your friends up North?! It seems like the perfect date idea, am I right? Well, if you’re itching for an orchard experience and can’t make the travel plans up North, here’s a good fix for you. High Springs Orchard & Bakery offers various picking items throughout the year. Persimmons are the fruit of October and November. If you’re not a fan of persimmons, don’t fret, the orchard also offers a variety of food options, from cooked food like empanadas and spicy cilantro almond pesto to baked items such as cranberry orange scones and even some ingredients such as honey and chestnut flour. All great things to pick up for a cute date at home!

3. Corn Maze and Hayride

Have a fun and unique date working together to try to find your way out of the maze. Take a cute hayride to the field, and then get the creative juices flowing as you work your way through the turns of the maze. Check out Newberry’s Cornfield Maze that is all laughs during the day but scary at night. It’s great for any kind of couple, whether you’re looking for a G-rated date or something a little more thrilling to bring you both really close.

4. County Fair

County fairs are always a cute date idea, but fall county fairs are cool, literally. It’s a perfect opportunity to cozy up next to each other on the Ferris wheel as you take in the breath-taking views, or win a cute stuffed animal for each other. A county fair is a fun way to take in the fall air. The Alachua County Fair is exactly what you’re looking for if you want to see some awe-inspiring magic shows, play fair games or enjoy yummy food.

5. Sunflower Field

Gainesville’s sunflower fields are already pretty popular, but sunflowers are in full bloom during the fall months. There’s one super close, right on University of Florida’s campus at the bat houses. While you’re there, check off another thing from you bucket list by staying to watch the bats as the sun sets!

6. Picnic

Picnics are another year-round cute activity, but living in Florida, you’re able to really enjoy it during the chill fall days. There’s so many great places to go for a picnic around the ‘Ville, from Norman’s front yard under the big trees to Depot Park. So pack up a basket of all of your favorite fall treats and head outside. Maybe bring some candles and some apple cider, too!

7. Hiking

Another activity Gainesville is already well-known for, but is great for fall, is hiking. There are so many trails around Gainesville and the surrounding areas that you’re sure to find the perfect one for you and your partner! Just search “Gainesville, Florida” on the Hiking Projects website, and discover loads of hiking trails. You can even choose your level of difficulty.

8. Wine Tasting and Brewery

For those of you that are of age, go for a wine tasting or to a brewery for a local and sophisticated twist to something you were probably going to do Saturday night anyway. Though something that is fun all year, it’s special during fall if you find any that serve seasonal drinks. Two that are good for any season are Bluefield Estate Winery and First Magnitude Brewing Company. Bluefield does have some more seasonal wines, such as its “Green Apple Affair” and “Pomegranate Passion” wines, and First Magnitude does have a Green Apple Cider that sounds fall-appropriate.

9. Ghost Tour

Ghost tours are so much fun for this spooky time of year, especially if you have a hot date to keep you warm, cool and collected. Everyone loves doing scary things with their significant other. Guys love girls grabbing them as they scream in terror, and girls love the idea of a cute boy protecting them. Sure, you can do some of the more traditional scare tours, like Halloween Horror Nights or Howl-O-Scream, but those can be expensive and are farther trips. Do something more off the beaten path without breaking the bank and going too far. Check out St. Augustine’s Ghost Tours for some really worthwhile couple bonding time. Let us know who turns out to be the biggest coward in the comments below! It may just be your boyfriend — talk about a funny story to tell later on!

10. Watch a Scary Movie

To end the list, I’ll end with an obvious and possibly the cheapest idea: watch a scary movie. I guess it doesn’t have to be scary, and it doesn’t even have to be a fall-themed movie, but you can make it fun by making some apple spice cake or having a pumpkin beer. Some of my favorite movies for this time of year are “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown,” “Hocus Pocus” and “The Nightmare Before Christmas.” If you’re feeling dangerous and want a scary movie, I say go for a classic like “The Shining” or “A Nightmare on Elm Street.”

All of these dates are super fun, easy and inexpensive. So whether you have a bae or just want to have a girls day or night, these activities are sure to bring the good times! Let us know in the comments below which adventure most interests you.

Maxine Grossman is a second-year Public Relations major with a concentration in business at the University of Florida and is so excited for the opportunity to do what she does best for Her Campus UFL: write about fashion. When Maxine is not staring at Pinterest fashion boards or wandering around shopping, she can be caught eating sushi, devouring cups of coffee and tea, or munching on some delicious macarons. Besides writing for Her Campus UFL, Maxine is also an active member of UF’s Panhellenic life and enjoys spending time with friends, traveling, and painting.