Style

A Little Thrift Secret: Why You Should Thrift More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

When I first dived into uni life, one of my many preoccupations was how I was going to start cultivating the unique sense of self I was always dying to be in high school. Restricted to blue blazers and tied up hair, life was dark in those days. I did the post-high school rounds of dying my hair green, basically going all out self-expression crazy but I needed a way to define myself in this exciting new chapter of my life without breaking the bank. And that’s where thrifting came in! In second-hand clothing stores, I began obsessively searching for a new expressive style amidst aisles of beautiful colour-coded gems.

But how could thrifting wardrobe essentials be for you, you might ask? How and where to even start? Fear not, friend. Here are four essential questions about thrifting and second-hand stores asked and answered.

Why thrifting? Why thrift at all?

Well, this is the best question to start with. Thrifting is a thrill. And once you start, you’ll be able to see exactly what I mean. Going into a store lined with heaped piles, rows and all other manners of arrangement can be slightly daunting to a beginner at first. But once you start sifting and sorting through, it becomes the most exciting game as you seek out an item you may or not be looking for. Think of it as a game of hide and seek. Only you don’t know what exactly you’re trying to seek. But when you know, you’ll know. (For added fun it’s always a good idea to bring a friend with- thrifting makes for some good bonding time!)

Won’t I look like a stepped out of a bygone era?

It all depends on the look you’re trying to cultivate. What’s cool about this is that any look you’re trying to go for you can get those items from that specific period. Want to channel your inner 90s wild child? Grab a floral print top! Thrifting gives you a chance to completely redefine your style without being a fast-in, fast-out fashion slave. Buy key items that you know will fit well with other items as well. Buy a floor length dress and wear it to campus. Buy whatever tickles your pickle! People love a cool, refreshing look. The motto here is simple: go crazy, go wild, go you!

Ummm… what about price tags? Isn’t vintage pricey?

A Donna Karen dress? How about Hilfiger jeans? These items go for a third of the price you would usually pay for at any commercial store. It’s all about shopping at stores that are not trying to strip you of your cash. Plus, most items you’ll find at malls go for more than crazy prices but in terms of quality, well… they sometimes tend to suck. More reason to make the switch.

You’re making some good points so far… where do I start?

Head to the trendy, artsy village of Obz. Here you’ll find stores lined along the Lower Main Road that have a bit of everything for everyone. Start off with Voom Voom Vintage and gradually work your way down to Wendy’s. Give a pop in at each and see what places suit you. Build friendships with the owners, negotiate your way through prices. There’s absolutely everything to love. Just don’t say I didn’t warn you.