Style > Beauty

Beauty Secrets That Have Not Been Passed Down

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

Sometimes the most time-consuming thing in our daily routine is our face. Looking good for yourself and that cutie in your tut can become a never-ending commitment. This article will help you save hours and money while you keep looking fabulous.

1. Coconut Oil. This product is not just a healthy cooking alternative to sunflower oil, but a great beauty product. You can use coconut oil for your hair, lips and face. It can be found in any grocery store, making it easy to find. I divide the oil into little containers: one for my hair, one for one lips and one for my face.

2. Credit cards are not just made for spending money you don’t have. Use your bank cards to help you create the perfect cat-eye by angling the card horizontally at the corner of your eye. You’re welcome.

3. It is as easy as 1, 2… 3! Contouring can be a tricky and stressful endeavor. When contouring just draw the number 3 on your face. Start by your forehead, and go around your eye then make the second half of the number 3 from your check to your chin. Repeat on your other cheek. Do not forget to blend.

4.  Baby powder is the REAL deal. Ran out of your pressed powder? No stress! Take the baby powder and evenly brush the powder on your face. Simple as that.

5. Want Kylie Jenner lips without the injections? Peppermint oil. It can be used to plump up your lips naturally. Another trick- brush your teeth once you have completed your face. The minty goodness from brushing your teeth also assists your lips in natural plumping.

6. You just ran out of foundation and don’t have time to go to the shops? Easy. Take your glass foundation container and use an earbud to scrape out the remaining foundation. If you have a plastic foundation container then just take a pair of scissors and cut the container in half.

7. Keeping your mascara from drying can be tough. All you need is some contact lens solution. The solution will keep your mascara from flaking and help it last longer.

8.  You have bad breath and that cutie-pie is coming over? It is not the end of the world. Baking soda is more than just lyrics to a popular song in 2016 and an ingredient when baking. Mix baking soda and water together. Drink the solution, and you will have no problem getting up-close and personal.

Let us know some of your beauty hacks that you’ve picked up along the way!

I am a fourth year student, studying Film and Media Specializing in Screenwriting