Five Things Every Badass Babe Should Have

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

1. A Five Year Plan

For this, you list what you would like to be and what you would like to achieve within the next five years, being realistic. You should include the steps you plan to take in order to reach these goals. For example, you could say you would like to improve your overall mental, spiritual and physical health. The steps you could take include drinking a specified amount of water, trying out a Pinterest fitness plan, joining a book club and perhaps start meditating.

2. A List of Weekly/Monthly Goals

As Albert Einstein has said: “If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not people or things”. Personally, I like cutting up my goals into weekly chunks and trying to attain them. For example, last week, I aimed to drink at least two litres of water per day for every day of the week. There is something truly liberating in fulfilling these mini-goals.

3. A Self-Care Regime That Works

In our busy, over-committed and draining student lives, self-care is one of the most important habits to inculcate. Admittedly, sometimes, just doing the assignment or booking that study session will qualify as self-care. Self-care should be caring for yourself in present and future. By finishing that dreaded assignment that was causing you so much anxiety, you are caring for yourself. Simultaneously, going for a walk or taking a quick nap when you’re stressed is just as good.

4. A Damage Control System

Listen, every now and then, things will spiral out of control. You may not have the power to change your situation, but you can change your reaction. Instead of picking a fight with your boyfriend when you’re upset, try channeling your emotions into something positive. Use that anger or sadness to be creative or take a nap if you know that will make you feel better. Personally, talking to a friend or my mom really helps after I’ve had a sh*t day.

5. Friends That Have your Back

We as humans were not put on this earth to be alone. Some may prefer it, but personally, having one or two close friends for support, love and laughs could make a world of difference to your mental, physical and emotional health. That being said, if you have toxic or malicious friends that do nothing but spread negativity, then get rid of them. Your life will appear so much brighter when you have friends that contribute to your life.  

Bachelor of Arts in English Literature, Gender Studies and Anthropology at UCT.
Julia Naidoo is an English and Linguistics major at the University of Cape Town. She is the former co-Correspondent for the chapter as well as the former Senior Editor.