This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

The only thing worse than the crippling debt of being a student is the constant stress and anxiety that comes along with it, and even that isn’t free. Many students have to fork out what little money they have for weekly psychiatrist appointments, just to get through the semester. Exam season is one of the most stressful times of the year. But remember, mental health is more important than your results.Sometimes, if you’re feeling a bit too overwhelmed, it’s a good idea to take step back and relax before you hit the books.

Here are 7 things you can do to de-stress yourself this time of year:

1.       Take a break:

The easiest way to stop stressing out about studying is to simply, stop studying. Not forever, hopefully, but it wouldn’t hurt to take a break every once in while. Put those books down and watch some Stranger Things (if you haven’t binge-watched it multiple times already) or go hang out with some friends, maybe grab a drink. Momentarily distracting yourself from all your problems makes those problems go away… for a while. Besides, those books aren’t going anywhere so you might as well go out instead.

2.       Yoga:

Go somewhere calm and relaxing, pull out a mat, and try out some yoga. I say try, because not all of us are natural yogis.  Even if you’ve never attempted yoga before, you’ll be amazed at how relaxing and refreshing it is. The best part is, it’s cheap too. You can practice by yourself and it doesn’t need tons of equipment (but a pretty yoga mat is always an investment). If you’re looking for some advice on getting started, or if you want a more intense session, there are loads of yoga classes all around Cape Town.

3.       Exercise:

Sadly, I’m not talking about exorcizing, which is the act of expelling demons from your body with some chanting and holy water, but the other kind of exercise is a great way of dealing with exam week too. Hit the gym, go for a run, or go for a swim. Even jogging would help, and it’s the closest you can get to running away from your problems.

4.       Procrasturbate:

All of us need some ‘me’ time every once in awhile, but not all of us are lucky enough to have a bae to help relieve our tension and stress. So sometimes, one has to take things into our own hands… or whatever you happen to have lying around. It’s perfectly normal and cheap too, but I’d strongly recommend you do this in your own home, privately.

5.       Nap:

Nothing feels better than staying in bed for a few extra minutes. Whenever you’re feeling overwhelmed or stressed to the point of tears, it’s a good idea to snuggle up under some blankies and take a power nap. I’ve lost count of the times I’ve gone to sleep in the  campus library in my textbook fort. If you’re exhausted from your 7 hour, last minute cramming marathon, chances are you’re not going to learn anything more anyway. Instead, take a snooze. When you wake up, make yourself something nice and healthy to eat and return to your books feeling delightfully refreshed.

6.       Be Healthy:

Instead of that umpteenth cup of coffee or those cheap energy drinks (I type, while sipping a Reboost), take one for the team and have something healthy, like a glass of water and some fruit, or even better, to cook something. Trust me, your body will thank you later. Stress-eating is a thing, so instead of shoveling an entire tub of ice cream down your gullet, put it in a blender, throw in some bananas and hey, you’ve got yourself a delicious smoothie. The act of making the food is therapeutic in itself, and the reward for it is food. So win-win.

7.       Have fun:

Most important of all! If you’re getting down because of all the exam stress, go enjoy yourself. Do whatever you want to make yourself feel better. Have a bubble bath (mindful of the water restrictions), sing and dance in your dorm. No one will judge you, and you’ll feel a lot better afterwards.