5 Ways to Cut Processed Foods Out of Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

We’ve all probably heard that processed foods aren’t the best for us, but what are they, really? Basically, “processed foods” refers to any type of food that is boxed, packaged, bagged, canned, or unnatural. Unnatural foods are foods that have been tampered with and have preservatives, colors, additives, extra flavors, etc added. The list could go on. So, how can we get these foods out of our diets and be a whole lot healthier? HC is here to help! 

1. Go for the edges. When grocery shopping, shop only around the edges of the market and try to limit the amount of packaged foods that you buy. This will greatly decrease the amount of preservatives and processed foods that you consume.

2. Quit at 7. Don’t buy any packaged foods that have more than 7 ingredients. If you’ve narrowed it to 7 ingredients, make sure you can pronounce what each ingredient is and make sure you know what it is. Chances are if your 5 year old cousin can’t identify it, you shouldn’t eat it!

3. Give up fast food. “But it tastes so good” Yes, it does. However, it has more preservatives and unnatural ingredients than you would ever want to consume in a year. Trust us, collegiettes, you do not want these ingredients in your body.

4. Be the chef. Cook all the foods you can! This greatly reduces the amount of unknown ingredients you’re consuming, and if you can learn to cook your own foods, you will know exactly what spices and ingredients are going in. This is much healthier for you and helps decrease salt in your diet! Totally an added bonus.

5. The more colorful, the better. Make your plate as colorful as possible! Try to add 2 vegetables and 2 fruits to your meals daily. This will help regulate the other foods you are consuming because it helps keep you full and gives your body nutrients that it would not otherwise be getting from anything packaged. 

There you are, collegiettes! Here’s to a happier, healthier life!