Why It’s Great Being Single in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

College is played out by media and our society as this magical time in our youth where we meet “the one”, fall in love, graduate, move out together… and other cliches. You know what I’m talking about. I never really believed in it until I got to college and found myself playing out that very scenario in my head. I soon came to realize that this isn’t the way relationships work. There isn’t a play-by-play of the process your relationship will go through. I’m not saying this is the case for every college student. Maybe you will/have met the person you can see yourself spending the rest of your life with, but it’s not likely. This over-romanticized part of college makes life for the single ones a little tough. As a fellow single lady, I don’t think being single in college is all that bad. In fact, I think it’s a great time in your life to be single. 

*GIF courtesy of giphy.com

For starters college is the time to grow, change, and discover yourself. Taking time to yourself in order to gain these expereinces is important! You can focus all the attention you would give to a SO for yourself. Who doesn’t love some extra me time? The key when creating a healthy relationship is learning to love yourself and that takes time! 

*GIF courtesy of Tumblr.com

Being single means you can take the time to discover what you like in a partner. Go on dates and have fun! Don’t get too wrapped up in it and don’t focus too much on whether or not you’re going to meet the love of your life. Remember that this is part of discovering youself, your likes and dislikes. 

GIF courtesy of giphy.com

There are so many other perks to being single in college, but a last one I will add is think of all the money you are saving! While a relationship isn’t about spending as much money on eachother as possible, you do have to admit being in a relationship can be a bit more costly than being single. 

*GIF courtesy of giphy.com

Cindy is a San Diego native currently attending the University of California, Santa Barbara. As a 2nd year Global Studies major she aspires to work in the PR or marketing industry. During her free time she enjoys hanging out with friends, admiring the breathtaking IV sunsets, napping, shopping, or binge watching favorite TV shows. 
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay