freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Cuffing Season Is Overrated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

The leaves are falling, the temperature is dropping, and Starbucks is making pumpkin spice flavored *insert any drink you can imagine.* Cuffing Season is officially here, but should we even be acknowledging it?

Urban Dictionary defines “cuffing season” as a time when:

“During the Fall and Winter months people who would normally rather be single or promiscuous find themselves along with the rest of the world desiring to be “cuffed” or tied down by a serious relationship. The cold weather and prolonged indoor activity causes singles to become lonely and desperate to be cuffed.”

Image via Pinterest

For those feeling the pressure to cuff yourselves a seasonal Netflix and Chill partner, think twice about whether you’re doing it for the right reasons. Are you doing it because you genuinely are ready for a committed relationship, or because you feel left out with all the pictures on social media of couples at the pumpkin patch? Love and commitment should not be considered seasonal habits one picks up, but given traits for someone looking for a relationship. The whole concept of cuffing season seems kind of unappealing when you break it down: find a partner (literally anyone) to serve as your personal cuddle companion through fall/winter, watch a few TV seasons together, maybe go to the pumpkin patch or some holiday parties (simply for photo ops), and all for what? Cuffing season relationships usually fizzle out just before Valentine’s Day, a time when the weather warms up again and previously interested parties snap into the realization that commitment is “not really their thing.” Though this is true for many couples, we don’t want to have a completely pessimistic view of this seasonal phenomenon, many “cuffees” find themselves in perfectly happy, long-term partnerships. 

Image via Google Images

We get it, the “forever alone” mentality creeps up whenever the temperature drops below 70 degrees. But we forget that a lot of the couple-y activities we yearn to participate in can easily be enjoyed with friends or just by yourself. Unlike any temporary bae you tie down with, your friends are in it for the long haul and would be more than happy to go on any fall/winter squad adventures with you. The pressure to shack up may be daunting, but remember to consider your options before diving off the deep end. Stuffed animals and pets are perfectly suitable cuddle buddies, if you ask us. If you are going for the cuff this season, be careful and make sure your partner is looking for the same things that you are. It’s okay to be selfish, but not at the expense of someone else’s feelings. And for those of us who could care less, let’s make this the season of personal growth, self-love, and not caring if you’re single. 

Image via Google Images

Leah is a 3rd year student attending the University of California, Santa Barbara pursuing a double major in Communication and Sociology. When she's not tagging her friends in memes, she enjoys watching YouTube makeup gurus and attending music festivals (when she can afford them). She hopes to pursue a career in the field of social marketing and/or public relations. Follow her on Instagram at @itsleaah!