nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What I Learned from Naz Talks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

We had the incredible opportunity to host an AMAZING speaker this last Monday. Naz Perez is the ultimate girlboss; she’s worked in production for The Ellen Show, the Bachelor, E! News True Hollywood Story, and even the Mexican Billboards. She has a podcast called I Don’t Get It and she’s the creator of Heartbroken Anonymous, an emotional support group for the heartbroken that meets once a month in LA. She even ran a fashion blog known as Sideline Styles that received quite the following. At just 27 years old, Naz has managed to establish herself in the entertainment world and her story was very inspiring. In case you didn’t get a chance to attend the talk, I’ve summarized 5 main points that every future girlboss should know.  

Image via giphy.com

1. Choose a specific goal to accomplish

Naz emphasized the importance of having a specific goal to shoot for. It was much easier for her to accomplish the goal when she knew exactly what she wanted to do. She said something along the lines of, “Everyone always asks me, how do you get to work for these really cool shows? And it’s because I only ever applied to places/shows I really liked.”

2. Don’t be afraid to go after something you want, no matter how crazy it may seem

Naz is a great example of the saying, “you can do anything!” She wanted to work for The Ellen Show, so she did. It doesn’t seem like it’d be as simple as that, but Naz taught us that it really is. Don’t be discouraged or intimidated by what you want to do. Go after it because you might just get it!

3. Find your niche

This isn’t necessarily in regards to your professional career, but if there’s something you really enjoy doing or a personal hobby of yours it’s important that you do it. Naz Perez realized that she was really good at listening to others’ heartbreak stories and that’s how she founded Heartbroken Anonymous. So, you never know what can become of your hobby. Even if nothing happens with it, it’s a good idea to have a positive outlet besides your career.

4. Take rejections/failures positively

I know this is something that can be very hard to do, but ultimately it’ll lead you to better opportunities. Sure, one thing may not work out for you, but that just means you have a chance at something else. Try to keep that in mind the next time something unfortunate happens.

5. Be nice to everyone

You always want to leave places on a positive note, in case you ever need to go back. It’s important to be nice to your colleagues, too, for the possibility that they can offer future connections for you.

Keep these 5 tips in mind while you pursue your professional career and you’re guaranteed to be just as girlboss as Naz Perez.

Image via giphy.com

Thumbnail credit

Hello! I'm Arianna, somtimes Ari, and I'm an English major at University of California, Santa Barbara. I'm one of the many editorial interns here at Her Campus UCSB. After graduating, I hope to work professionally in the editing business,.  
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)