What I Learned From Nannying Throughout College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

I have been a nanny for the past three years. I have worked for several families with children from all different age groups, from a six month old little girl, to a twelve year old ‘young man’ as he likes to be referred to as. Nannying isn’t an easy task as you are expected to keep up with the parents forms of discipline, rules, and potty training, etc. all while the children think that they either: a) don’t have to listen to you because you ‘aren’t their mom’ or b) they can get away with things by telling you that, for example, ‘mom lets me use markers to draw on the couch.’ I am, however, so thankful for these past three years of experience I have gotten, because being a nanny has taught me so much about children and what life might be like in the distant years to come, but also about myself.

Image via Giphy

Being a nanny has taught me these four lessons that can be carried over to any aspect of life:

#1- How to enjoy the little things in life

Children are intrigued by the smallest of things. One of the little girls I nanny for loves to watch the birds fly to the bird feeder and gulp down the golden mealworms for breakfast. She will sit there and watch them for twenty or thirty minutes a day, pointing out the speckles on the little brown birds feathers and counting how many times each bird flies back and forth. When you take a step back and look at how much joy children have from the smallest things in life, it is easy to see that we, as adults, need to re-instill this quality back into our lives.

#2- How to be a persistent and hard worker

Potty training is no easy task, nor is disciplining children who don’t want to listen to you because you aren’t their parents. Keeping up with persistent discipline and endorsement of the rules really pays off. The children begin to listen to you, and respect you (sometimes even more so than their parents). You become one of their best friends. Being a hard worker in every aspect of life is a good trait to learn as we continue to move through different classes, jobs, and careers.

#3- Setting a good example can be hard, but is so important

There have been many times where the water has boiled over, or the bathtub has almost overflowed because I was distracted or preoccupied while, for example, having to clean some yuck out from the underwear of a potty training toddler. In these many instances, some inappropriate words have almost rolled off of my tongue. In these situations you have to remember that accidents happen and that these little ones look up to you.

#4- Likewise… being a role model comes with the title of being a nanny

I frequently wear a pair of yoga pants and a tank top tied in a knot while watching one of the little girls that I look after consistently. Starting a couple months ago, the only things that she will wear are what she calls ‘leggings’ and tank tops. When I arrive in the mornings, she always asks me to tie her tank top in a knot before putting a jacket over it on these cold morning. I think these last two points are something that we all can carry throughout life. We should always be trying to set a good example and be a superb role model, because more often than not, there is someone watching, someone who looks up to us.

Hey there, Collegiettes! I'm Hannah, a Psychology major and Professional Writing minor at the University of California, Santa Barbara. I am a passionate yogi, want-to-be backpacker, and environmental advocate. You can usually find me sipping on a dirty chai latte at a local coffee shop or hanging out outdoors.
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)