VOTE HERE: Mr. Freshman UCSB Contest!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

It’s time for the 2nd annual Mr. Freshman UCSB Contest! With ten amazing contestants, we need YOU to chose the winner, and ultimately crown UC Santa Barbara’s best freshman guy. Who do you think is the hottest? The smartest? The funniest? The most charming? The most down-to-earth? The flirtiest? Who do you think is Mr. Freshman UCSB? Happy voting!

VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE FRESHMAN GUY HERE:
http://www.hercampus.com/school/ucsb/vote-here-mr-freshman-ucsb-contest-0

MATT LANDIS

Hometown: Woodland, CA

Major: Political Science

Dream Job: Professional Badminton player

Campus Involvement: I play Intramural sports, and I am part of the fraternity, Beta Theta Pi. 

First item on UCSB bucket list: To watch the Men’s Basketball team make the NCAA tournament again.

Celebrity Crush: Natalie Portman

What do you look for in a girl? I look for a girl that can make me laugh and has a pretty smile.

Most embarrassing moment at UCSB: First day of class, I was long boarding to class and in front of everyone I fell on my skateboard. It was not the best.

Three things you can’t live without: My family, my Dog and Bacon.

Dating Deal Breaker: Mono

Plans After College? Astronaut

What is Something That People May Not Know About You? I wrestled a bear once…and won.

Pet Peeves: Gingers

Why should you win UCSB Mr Freshman 2015? Because I’m the best.

ELLIOTT WOBLER 

Hometown: San Diego

Major: Physics

Dream Job: Intergalactic Touring Musician 

Campus Involvement: Does a Meal Plan count?

First item on UCSB bucket list: Meet musicians, start a band.

Celebrity Crush: Emma Watson 

What do you look for in a girl? Uninhibited imperfection, intelligence, and Grade A spell-casting. 

Most embarrassing moment at UCSB: Forgetting my most embarrassing moment at UCSB.

Three things you can’t live without: Good music, good books, and that rarely-found, utterly undeniable, entirely open and completely refreshing form of human connection called Love.

Dating Deal Breaker: Lying. 

Plans After College? Finding a healthy balance between cosmic travel, artistic expression, and a life-long spiritual quest to discover purpose.

What is Something That People May Not Know About You? I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together. But my guess is that you knew it all along.

Pet Peeves: Selfish existence.

Why should you win UCSB Mr Freshman 2015? Because you like my taste. Because, deep down, who doesn’t have a thing for Hermione Granger?

RYAN MANDELL

Hometown: Agoura Hills

Major: Psychology

Dream Job: Professional Surfer

Campus Involvement: I’m a staff member at the UCSB surf club

First item on UCSB bucket list: Yell good morning or good afternoon to a professor in Cambell hall right as they are about to start their lecture and see their reaction.

Celebrity Crush: Beyonce.. Perfection… have you seen her video for “Countdown”? So sexy

What do you look for in a girl? I don’t look.. I have a girlfriend.. but if I were looking this girl would probably have to have all the qualities of my girlfriend, which are being funny, witty, smart, beautiful, and they would have to be good at singing and acting. That’s a must. They should be cool, not controlling, but still able to keep me in line.

Most embarrassing moment at UCSB: One time I was biking back to san cat from campus and I ate it sooo hard on my bike trying to be cool and jump up a curb. This car saw and stopped to ask if I was okay.

Three things you can’t live without: Oxygen, Water, Vital Organs

Dating Deal Breaker: When a girl chews with her mouth open/smacks gum.. Can’t deal.

Plans After College? make money, travel, do community service throughout the states and third world countries maybe something in Costa Rica that would be awesome.

What is Something That People May Not Know About You? 
Me and my best friend were president and vice president of my high school. She came over every morning for breakfast because my mom is an awesome cook.

Pet Peeves: Other than the chewing with the mouth open thing, I hate when people litter the beach and I dislike when people do statuses on facebook that start with “that awkward moment”… not funny.

Why should you win UCSB Mr Freshman 2015? Because I’m awesome and I need money.

DAVID SHADPOUR 

Hometown: San Diego

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Dream Job: Quarterback of the New England Patriots

Campus Involvement: Greek life and part of Clean up IV

First Item on UCSB Bucket List: Go to a UCSB football game

Celebrity Crush: Betty White

What Do You Look for in a Girl: A girl that can make me laugh

Most Embarrassing Moment for you at UCSB: Trying to bike without using my hands and crashing into a tree

3 Things You Can Not Live Without: iphone 4s, 3g, Siri

Dating Deal Breaker: Too much make-up

Plans After College: Find Siri and take her on a date

What is Something That People May Not Know About You? I speak Farsi

Pet Peeve: I dont have a pet named Peeve

Why Should You Win UCSB Mr. Freshman: They dont call me the Shag-pour for nothing.

CHARLES LEVY

Hometown: LA bitchess

Major: Detective Studies

Dream Job: Become a dolphin

Campus Involvement: club volleyball, chess club

First item on UCSB bucket list: moon a large audience

Celebrity Crush: precious

What do you look for in a girl? Me

Most embarrassing moment at UCSB: when I peed my pants a lil after a girl kissed me

Three things you can’t live without: my speedo,boobs, samurai sword

Dating Deal Breaker: cats

Plans After College? Become a landowner, official owner of charles levy’s nevereverland

What is Something That People May Not Know About You? I write poetry while I poop.

Pet Peeves: hairy soap

Why should you win UCSB Mr Freshman 2015? Because I’m from America.

ALEX MARKOVICH 

Hometown: Corona, CA (Yes, like the beer)

Major: Pre-Econ/Accounting

Dream Job: Self-Made Billionaire

Campus Involvement: Greek Life (Beta Theta Pi), Tropicana Student Organization

First item on UCSB bucket list: To use my surfboard at least once this year… 

Celebrity Crush: Jessica Alba? She’s hot…

What do you look for in a girl? A girl who isn’t afraid to speak her mind, but knows what she’s talking about at the same time.

Most embarrassing moment at UCSB: Running naked to a sorority house and pounding on the door for trolling.

Three things you can’t live without: Let’s see… water, food, air? Other things that make my life convenient? My phone, the internet, and my car. Without these three I’d be pretty screwed. 

Dating Deal Breaker: It would take a lot but a slob would do it. 

Plans After College? Graduate UCSB, get MbA, travel the world hopefully through work & make some cash, invest, sit back and be a badass rich old man. 

What is Something That People May Not Know About You? I love music and I’ve been playing Guitar, Drums, and Piano off and on all my life. 

Pet Peeves: Liars, Cheaters, Stupid Excuses

Why should you win UCSB Mr Freshman 2015? I’m not perfect but I feel that I fulfill the characteristics of a UCSB Mr Freshman.

OAKLEY PURCHASE

Hometown: London, England 

Major: History but I am changing to English

Dream Job: Actor 

Campus Involvement: I’m staff on surf club, and a member of snow club and excursion club. 

First item on UCSB Bucket List: Have a house where I can see the ocean from my bedroom. 

Celebrity Crush: It has to be Mila Kunis

What do you look for in a girl? The usual stuff, pretty, smart, funny, someone who likes to have a good time and doesn’t take themselves too seriously. 

Most embarrassing moment at UCSB: haha probably going to have to be tripping while walking up the stairs in my class and falling flat on my face in front of a couple hundred people. Not my smoothest moment. 

Three Things you can’t live without: Music , Acting and my friends and family.

Dating Deal Breaker: If a girl doesn’t have a good sense of humor that usually is a deal breaker for me. 

Plans After College: I want to do a year foundation course at a drama school back in London. Hopefully RADA or LAMDA and then go back to my agent and start working again but its four years away so a lot can change. 

What is Something That People May Not Know About You? I was brought up in Botswana which is a country just above South Africa, my mum was an actress but became a biologist so we moved there when I was born and she became a Lion Researcher. We moved back to England nearly four years ago. 

Pet Peeves: Spiders! Im not creeped out by any other animals or bugs but spiders are just creepy.
Why should you win UCSB Mr Freshman 2015? It would be amazing to win UCSB Mr Freshman and be able to represent UCSB. I absolutely love it here and have met a lot of really fun and smart people, so its awesome just to be considered.

GEOFF MOORE

Hometown: Valencia, CA

Major: Chemical Engineering

Dream Job: Musician

Campus Involvement: Phi Sigma Kappa (Hardy Boy)

First item on UCSB bucket list: Surf and go to the beach. A lot

Celebrity Crush: Lisa Gleave

What do you look for in a girl? Intelligence, a sense of humor

Most embarrassing moment at UCSB: Asking a girl if she was a first year…who turned out to be a senior.

Three things you can’t live without: Food, water, and air. (ba dum tiss)

Dating deal breaker: If she smokes a cigarette

Plans after college? Going into medical or environmental research, or med school

What is something that people may not know about you? I’ve played guitar since I was 11 and write music

Pet peeves: When people start sentences and don’t finish th…

Why should you win UCSB Mr Freshman 2015? Because I’m a guy! And a freshman!

CLAY KREBS

Hometown: San Anselmo, California

Major: Financial Math

Dream Job: Financial Analyst of Global Equities at Morgan Stanley

Campus Involvement: Phi Sigma Kappa (Phi Sig)

First item on UCSB bucket list: Have sex at the top of Storke Tower

Celebrity Crush: Rosie Huntington Whiteley

What do you look for in a girl? Someone who can chill with the boys and can laugh at guy humor

Most embarrassing moment at UCSB: Riding a skateboard through campus and absolutely demolishing a biker while trying to slow before a bike intersection

Three things you can’t live without: Freebirds, Phi Sig, and ladies

Dating Deal Breaker: A girl who smokes cigarettes

Plans After College? Travel to Spain for half a year and work at a resort there

What is Something That People May Not Know About You? I love walks on the beach during sunset followed by a candlelit dinner at an Italian restaurant

Pet Peeves: The people who try to correct professors during lectures

Why should you win UCSB Mr Freshman 2015? I feel like I truly embody the genuine characteristics of a Greek freshman who will represent UCSB for years to come.

CARL PROVENZANO

Hometown: Boston, MA
Major: Biochemistry
Dream Job: Reconstructive Plastic Surgeon
Campus Involvement: Health and Wellness Chair (HAWC) on Hall Council in San Nic hall. I also started my own health and wellness club called Bronze and Thighs Fitness. I train kids at the gym and adivse them on how to eat and cook for health & fitness. And its FOR FREE!!!
First item on UCSB bucket list: Visit the butterfly preserve
Celebrity Crush: Jessica Alba
What do you look for in a girl: I like a girl who is on the shorter side, has nice skin, can sustain a conversation when sober, has a great sense of humor, a well proportioned body and most importantly, a girl who has self respect.
Most embarrassing moment at UCSB: I woke up in my lounge one morning over the summer during FSSP covered entirely in JIFF’s chunky peanut butter. I still do not know who did this to me.
Three things you can’t live without: sex, exercise and the sun.
Dating Deal Breaker: she flirts with other guys or neglects me in public. cheating is the worst. it’s dishonest
Plans After College: medical school at UCLA
What is Something That People May Not Know About You: I have a low level certification in personal training and a low level certification in cooking. My mom is a private chef and I am lucky enough to say that I have interned with the personal trainer of the Boston Bruins and the New England Patriots!
Pet Peeves: People who lie, people who never follow through with set plans and people who don’t appreciate anything.
Why should you win UCSB Mr Freshman 2015?
I am a genuine guy who does not like to blend in day after day. I believe you only live once, so you might as well make the absolute best of life. I do as much as I possibly can to help kids on campus because when you feel good, others around you feel good and vice versa. It’s the small things that really matter. Giving someone even the slightest compliment such as, “you look sexy today” or just anything positive really makes a huge impact. Back in Boston, where the sun don’t shine, (on average the sun shines 95 days per year in MASS and Boston got voted the meanest and worst dressed city in the entire country last year- it’s atrocious, i know!) I always wore crazy, one of a kind things to brighten peoples day so to speak. Of course, people judge other people based on what they stand for and who they are. This is exactly why rumors spread like I can’t believe its not butter. It’s human nature to judge others, but not until you really get to know another person can you make a fair assessment about them. Everyone has been judged at some point in time. I certainly have been; more times than I even want to know. But the thing is, life is better if you don’t care about others opinions and live your life just being you. Being in Santa Barbara for only several months now, I have already developed a reputation as the student who dresses in bright, ridiculous outfits, has more shoes than any girl, and makes that comment in class that everyone is thinking but no one will say. I don’t want to be the person kicking myself afterward for not speaking up. Everyone has their own individual style and I don’t make decisions that will allow me to be complimented or bring attention to myself, I do it because I want to do it. And I just don’t care what anyone thinks. This does not mean that I don’t still have my own problems and insecurities in life. I most certainly do, but don’t we all? I’m not perfect in any way. One problem that I have is that my life revolves around a lot of material wealth, simple possession I could easily be without. What’s the point of driving a nice car? What’s the point of wearing nice clothes? I mean really, what is the point of clothes? You just get in them to take them off eventually. But in a way, my clothes are a symbol of my own personality and I like to look unique. To me, everyday is a day to do something crazy or try something new and unusual. I am young, but I know the kind of person that I always want to be: an individual who makes the best of life. I came 3000 miles to Santa Barbara with high hopes of change, and it has more than fulfilled my expectations. IV is the promise land! I have never been happier in my entire life. I wake up each day with a beautiful view outside my window, a great outlook on life, and a huge debt of gratitude towards ATO towards my family. I would be honored to be the UCSB HerCampus Mr. Freshman 2015.

CARL PROVENZANO 

Hometown: Boston, MA

Major: Biochemistry

Dream Job: Reconstructive Plastic Surgeon

Campus Involvement: Health and Wellness Chair (HAWC) on Hall Council in San Nic hall. I also started my own health and wellness club called Bronze and Thighs Fitness. I train kids at the gym and adivse them on how to eat and cook for health & fitness. and its FOR FREE!!!

First item on UCSB bucket list: Visit the butterfly preserve

Celebrity Crush: Jessica Alba

Most embarrassing moment at UCSB: I woke up in my lounge one morning over the summer during FSSP covered entirely in JIFF’s chunky peanut butter. I still do not know who did this to me. 

Three things you can’t live without: sex, exercise and the sun.

Dating Deal Breaker: she flirts with other guys or neglects me in public. cheating is the worst. it’s dishonest

Plans After College: medical school at UCLA

What is Something That People May Not Know About You: I have a low level certification in personal training and a low level certification in cooking. My mom is a private chef and I am lucky enough to say that I have interned with the personal trainer of the Boston Bruins and the New England Patriots!

Pet Peeves: People who lie, people who never follow through with set plans and people who don’t appreciate anything. 

Elizabeth ('12) is studying Communication and Professional Multimedia Writing at UC Santa Barbara. Born and raised in Calabasas, California, she is a valley girl at heart, but loves spending her time in big cities or at the beach. Elizabeth is currently interning at Santa Barbara Magazine, and is also a writer and reporter for the food, arts, and entertainment sections of her university's newspaper. After a semester studying abroad in Europe, she spent the past summer in New York City as an editorial intern at TV Guide Magazine through the highly competitive ASME Summer Internship Program. Aside from previous internships including a local radio station, Elizabeth worked in Los Angeles at FOX 11 KTTV as a production intern for the top-rated morning show, Good Day L.A and FOX 11 News, and was also recently published in Seventeen magazine. An entertainment fanatic, Elizabeth has interviewed E!'s Giuliana Rancic, the cast of Glee, Entourage, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and more. She is also a dedicated member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, and served her chapter as Vice President and executive board member. When she's not editing Her Campus articles, you can expect to find her at the gym, shopping, eating chocolate, or watching any show on Bravo. Elizabeth is preparing for a career in print or broadcast journalism, and loves working for Her Campus!
Phoebe is a senior at the University of California, Santa Barbara, majoring in Film and Media Studies. She is from San Diego, CA and loves spending time hiking and walking her dog on the beach. At UCSB, Phoebe is involved with her sorority, Kappa Kappa Gamma, and loves to take study breaks by baking and watching reality TV. However, she is truly passionate about cats and Nutella (not together of course). After graduation, Phoebe plans to travel abroad in Europe and pursue a career in Public Relations.