Valentine’s Day Special: Campus Couple

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

It may be the middle of winter, but the sun is shining, the ocean is sparkling, and love is in the air here at UCSB!

In honor of Valentine’s Day, we decided to spice up our Campus Cutie section for the week and introduce a Campus Couple.

Meet Kirsten Mancini and Guy Shaposhnik. Kirsten, a sophomore majoring in Communication and Guy, a junior majoring in Biology, have been dating for well over a year. We sat down with the couple to learn more about how they found love in Isla Vista.

Her Campus (HC): How did you two meet?

Kirsten: We are both from the same hometown and had mutual friends, so I messaged Guy before coming to UCSB to ask him questions about the school, since he is a year older. Then our first sorority event at UCSB was a Disney theme and happened to be with Guy’s fraternity, and that’s where we met in person. Weirdly enough, I went as Princess Belle and he was dressed as the Beast.

HC: Whats your favorite thing to do together in Santa Barbara?

Guy: I like taking Kirsten on different hikes all around Santa Barbara since it is so beautiful here , and then she makes me take her to get Backyard Bowls

Kirsten: It’s a trade-off!

HC: What was your most embarrassing moment together at UCSB?

Kirsten: Well, before Guy and I were together, he had a different girlfriend.

Guy: And when we were out at a party Kirsten came up to me and confessed her love for me

in front of my girlfriend…

Kirsten: I was mortified.

Guy: Ya it was just a little awkward, but now I’m happy she did!

HC: What is your ideal Valentine’s Day date?

Kirsten: My ideal date would be a picnic on the beach, with some good wine and good food. It’s nice when we get to spend alone time together, away from the craziness of life here in IV.

Guy: That sounds good to me!

Kirsten and Guy both hail from the Los Angeles area, and are happily celebrating their second Valentine’s Day together in Isla Vista. They wish all friends, family and loved ones a very Happy Valentine’s Day!

Mya McCann is a fourth year literature student in the College of Creative Studies at UCSB. She currently lives in Bangkok, Thailand and is in the business of running BKK. On the weekends you can find Mya either in the jungle or on an island. On the weekdays she studies Thai and Buddhism and teaches English to sex workers in the red light district. You can follow her adventures on IG: MyaJoy