The Vagina Monologue and Her Stories Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

You might have seen UCSB students dressed vagina costumes near the Arbor these past few weeks. If you didn’t know, they are a part of the Vagina Monologues and Her Stories group, dedicated to shining a light on the female voice and struggles.

Via The Bottom Line

This past Saturday, I attended the annual Vagina Monologues and Her Stories show held in Campbell Hall. This event consisted of monologues from the famous “Vagina Monologues” written by the playwright, Eve Ensler, as well as “her stories” written by the UCSB performers themselves.

This is event was so incredible and empowering, and I was so delighted to see the immense intersectionality and representation for women of color and LGBTQ+ women. I was also surprised and happy to see that there was a lot of men in the audience, and that they were there to support women having a voice.

The style of performance was in the ranges of spoken word, slam poetry, and short scenes. The content of these performances revolved around female sexual liberation and destigmatization, self-love, and women of different cultures and backgrounds discussing their struggles.

Via Pinterest

My favorite performer of the night was stand-up comedy-style spoken word, discussing the ridiculousness of how female products such as menstrual products, could be much improved for comfort and effectiveness, considering our advanced age of technology, yet they haven’t been.

I had such a blast at this event as it was emotional, moving, and hilarious. I highly recommend attending the next performance as they promote voices and stories that are of our peers and of women around the world.

Also, check out these pussy pops!

Via Reddit

Ava Kargosha is a first year Psychology and Brain Sciences major at UCSB. She loves reading, writing, drinking Arnold Palmers, and frantically catching up on TV shows.
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)