Things You Should Never Say To People With Anxiety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Anxiety is something a lot of people joke about or joke about having but in reality, problems with anxiety are more sever for some than others. It is a very real and difficult thing to deal with for those who have more severe cases of anxiety and for people who suffer from it constantly. Although you may want to help someone who may dealing with anxiety, there are some things that probably shouldn’t be said in your attempt to be supportive.

“You’re being too dramatic”

Image via Giphy.com

This statement is a little too insensitive and although, to you, they may seem as though they are being overdramatic, they are not because what they are experiencing is very overwhelming

“Just Relax”

Image via Giphy.com

Anxiety is not something you simply calm down from, it takes some time and saying this is not going to help the situation. If it were that easy, they would.

“You’ll get over it”

Image via Giphy.com

This is true, but probably not the best thing to say to someone suffering from anxiety in that moment. Instead, just be there in any way you can.

“You’re not the only one going through things”

Image via Giphy.com

Obviously, they know this, but that doesn’t mean that they are not allowed to feel how they feel especially in this case when it’s not really their choice. Demeaning their issues or making them seem less than as a way of offering help may not work in your favor or theirs. Even though you may be trying to offer kind advice to a friend, remember that tough love isn’t exactly going to be effective in this situation.

Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)