harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Send Silence Packing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

“We may often suffer in silence but we do not suffer alone.” Active Minds exhibited 1, 100 backpacks on the SRB Lawn of the UC Santa Barbara campus to represent the number of college students that die by suicide each year. Along with backpacks were signs that had statistics and reassuring affirmations written on them. Active Minds is a nonprofit organization that is dedicated to raising awareness about suicide and mental health issues among college students. 

Nkechi Ikem is a writer for the HerCampus chapter at UC Santa Barbara. She is a second year political science major and plans to pursue a career in international law. Originally from the Sacramento area, she can't help but continuously remind people that the city is more than just a capital. In her free time, you can find her listening to the same song for an hour or reacting out loud to a book she's reading. She is present on almost all social media outlets, but her favorite at the moment is Twitter. Follow her @saymynameright_
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.