An Open Letter From a Gaucho to Her Beloved Beach Cruiser

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

To my beloved beach cruiser:

Words can’t describe how much you mean to me. You’ve been my main mode of transportation for nearly four years now and there’s no way I can ever repay you. From riding up the inclined bike path near FT my freshman year, to roughing it out through the never ending rainstorms this past winter quarter – you’re a real one.

You’ve put up with countless mornings when I’m running late to class and work (basically everywhere). Of course I’d end up getting there on time because we make a great team, you and I. Through countless “rush hours” on Pardall and the bike loops, we survived it all together.

I know I don’t look after you like I should. Someone stole your bell while I was in class one day. Your reflectors are out, your pedals are tarnished and your spokes are slightly rusty. Your gears creak with every pedal I turn, but I wouldn’t trade you for the fastest fixie in the world. (I mean those bike seats look so uncomfortable tbh).

Just know your loyalty never goes unnoticed. Despite my unsoundly grunts and my unsubtle cries that come out of my mouth as we ride to campus together, I promise it’s not you that I’m complaining about. Without you, I’d get nowhere and without you, I’m nothing.

Love you boo,

Your favorite Gaucho  

*Photo courtesy of Unsplash

*Gif courtesy of Giphy

Naomi is a fourth-year, English major and Multimedia Writing minor at UCSB. She is originally from the LA area, but aspires to someday make it in New York as a web content writer. Cats, green tea and British accents are slight obsessions of hers.
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay