An Open Letter To Freshman-Year Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Hey, kid. I know you may be feeling a bit uneasy about this whole college thing, but just listen to me for a while.

Things may seem like they’re spinning out of control, and sometimes you might question your ability to accomplish even mundane tasks. I’m here to tell you that it’ll be okay. Facing hardships is inevitable and will happen no matter what; it is what you do with those hardships and how you react to them that matters. If you ever feel overwhelmed, step out of the box you’ve put yourself in, and take a deep breath.

You may sometimes feel like you’re on your own in this big new world—you’re absolutely not. Simply look around, and you’ll see your peers looking just as doe-eyed and paralyzed as you. Talk to a friend, a classmate, a professor, an advisor. There are more resources on campus than you can imagine—use them.

Some days will be more difficult to deal with than others. It is expected and inevitable. Take a walk, go to the beach, or eat your favorite meal. If that doesn’t help, call a loved one; there will always be someone to listen. Learn to be alone without being lonely.

On the fun days, be grateful and accept the happiness you feel. Let the stressful things go and allow yourself to enjoy life, at least for a little bit. Talk to people, take pointless pictures, and laugh. These are the days you’ll remember the most, so make them count.

Setting goals may seem frightening, and the future will make you nervous. Accept that fear and anxiety, but address it. You can reach those goals, and all it takes is focusing on one day at a time. Don’t drown yourself in worries, despite how easy it may be to do so. The only thing you can do is your best, so do it.

Lastly, be proud of your work. Be proud of who you are and who you will become. Be proud of the things you’ve learned and the experiences you’ve had. Be proud of both the mistakes you’ve learned from and the scars you’ve gained. Be confident. You can do this—and in a way, you already have.

Love,

You

Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.