My, Oh My, It’s Emily from AKPSI

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Name: Emily Gao

Year: Sophomore

Major: Double major in Economics and Communication 

Hometown: Cupertino, CA

Favorite spot to eat in IV: …Blenders?!

Celebrity crush: Matt Bomer 

Hobbies: Typography, graphic design, binge-watching Netflix, taking walks with friends

Favorite place in the world: Vancouver and Beijing

Favorite class you have taken at UCSB? 

Haven’t come across one that striked me as extremely interesting but I did enjoy Comm 1!

Why did you decide to rush Alpha Kappa Psi?

I knew coming into college that I wanted to be involved in a business organization, considering UCSB does not offer a business administration major or anything of the sort. Deciding which business organization to join took me some time—I attended the rush weeks of multiple business organizations and fraternities, but ultimately decided on Alpha Kappa Psi because the brotherhood of this business fraternity instantly drew me in. It was amazing to see how close the brothers of the fraternity were and are compared to the other business organizations I sought out, so after seeing that firsthand, it truly solidified my decision to rush.

What has been your favorite part about being in a business fraternity?

My favorite part of a business fraternity is, essentially, the network. “Network” encompasses many ideals that I think are necessary to succeed in the business world—not only do we have connections to alumni who now work for the companies that I aspire to work for one day, but we also have current brothers who have connections to the upcoming career fairs, job openings, etc. Talking to the brothers of Alpha Kappa Psi, I have also realized where I want to take my career goals; I was accepted to UCSB as an Economics/Accounting major but quickly realized, through conversations with my brothers, that I wasn’t cut out for a whole life dedicated to Accounting. This catalyzed my decision to switch to Economics and Communication, a double major combination that is more geared toward the marketing field that I aspire to pursue in the future.

What advice would you give to Gauchos who are thinking about rushing for AKPsi or any other co-ed frats?  

I would definitely recommend rushing to anyone who is even remotely interested in joining an organization like AKPsi. People often forget that rushing isn’t a commitment—it’s an opportunity to see what the organization stands for and to see what the people in the organization are like. Bids and pledging are another matter, so rushing is open and highly recommended to everyone! I would definitely advise on loosening up and being yourself. I know it sounds cliché, but so many people hype up the rushing process and tend to act like someone they believe the fraternity will ‘like,’ but we honestly want to know who you are as a person.

Are you involved in anything else on campus?

I currently work for UCSB Housing as a Customer Service and Marketing Assistant, so I’m involved in a lot of marketing and advertising for RHA, student organizations, and general administrative processes. I can answer almost any question you have about the behind-the-scenes for the residence halls!

What is one thing you want to do before you graduate from UCSB?

I want to take a weekend trip to the Channel Islands. I mean, our whole campus is already named after them and we see them every day across the ocean, so why not visit? I think it’d be a great adventure.

Cindy is a San Diego native currently attending the University of California, Santa Barbara. As a 2nd year Global Studies major she aspires to work in the PR or marketing industry. During her free time she enjoys hanging out with friends, admiring the breathtaking IV sunsets, napping, shopping, or binge watching favorite TV shows. 
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay