Meet Deniese and Hear What She has to Say about Being an Hermana

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Name:  Deniese Aguillon

Major: Sociology

Year: Third Year

Hometown: Hawthorne, California

Hobbies: “My hobbies include arts and crafts; I always find myself getting into painting and making cute drawings. I am also in love with playing soccer, I always find myself playing soccer with old friends whenever I go back home.”

Favorite TV Show: “My all-time favorite TV show is How I Met Your Mother, I never got into it when it was on TV, but once it was on Netflix (now on HULU how sad), I could not stop watching. I rewatch random episodes whenever I am eating or have nothing else to do. It’s always a good one.”

image via Deneise Aguillon

What does it mean to be a Hermana?

To me being a Hermana means striving for greatness with the women around you, and achieving greatness together in an institution that is not in our favor. Being women in higher education is already a step to success, and being a Hermana means helping our fellow Hermanas succeed.

image via Deneise Aguillon

What would you tell someone who wants to become a Hermana?

I would tell them to go for it and do not be afraid. You are going to benefit from this organization and the people in it. Aspire to be inspired, because many members can lead you to great networks which is necessary for the institution. A member once said, “You get what you put in” and I truly believe in those words.

Writer’s Note

As a rookie in Hermanas, I have had the pleasure of getting to know Deniese and a bunch of other amazing and successful women that I call Hermanas. Hermanas to me stands for power, strength, and home. Attending the meetings on Tuesdays at 7pm is what I look forward to every week! The first time I stepped into the room I felt like I was back at home as I laughed with other Hermanas. I decided to join Hermanas Unidas because I was tired of being homesick all the time and I wanted to meet people outside of my classes. Thus, I went to my first Hermana meeting. Deniese is right, every Hermana wants to see you succeed and in the process of succeeding they often check in on you to make sure you are okay or need anything. I love the Hermanas and I recommend everyone and anyone to come to a Hermana meeting! Come and meet amazing women! I promise you won’t regret it. Oh and “Hey Ladies!” response “HAU Know!”

My name is Jasmine Marie Palmerin. I am a second year, majoring in English and Sociology.
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)