pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Man in Front of the Imagineering Backpack: Octavio Lopez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Name: Octavio Lopez

Major: Electrical Engineer 

Year: Fourth

Hometown: Long Beach 

What’s it like being an Electrical Engineering major? 

It’s like someone set you on fire and the fire extinguisher doesn’t come until four years later. I mean it’s hard, but you know it’s all going to be worth it in the end. 

Soooo….I hear you’re a part of a start-up company, what’s that about?

I don’t know, we do stuff. *laughs* We are a car security company. Our product is designed to capture 360 degree video around your car for security purposes to streamline the insurance process. It can also be used as a recreational tool; we’re planning on including a manual override switch, so you can choose the video files that you want to save. AKA you can record scenery around your car while you’re taking a drive somewhere and keep that video.

Cool.

What are your outside hobbies? 

I collect pop-figures and vinyls. I have around 50 pop-figures and 40 vinyls. I also play soccer and join videogame competitions.

What meme would you say describes your day-to-day life? 

The Spongebob caveman meme.

When I enter class, I don’t know what’s going on

When I do my homework, I don’t know what’s going on

When I’m asked to present, I’m like

what. 

When my professor calls on me 

Octavio wasn’t asked any specific question, but said this: 

Tell them: admist the firey inferno of my twerk (Note: Octavio uses the term “twerk” in place of the term “work”), I find joy in the little things. Things like walking to the beach, or any excuse to get the hell away from my twerk. But in all seriousness I’m #Blessed.

Any words of wisdom?

“Why worry? If you’ve done the very best you can, worrying won’t make it any better” -As said by Walt Disney, as said by me. 

Additional things that couldn’t fit neatly in the interview: 

*starts singing in a low voice* I view my life as a musical.

Tell them: Dear America, I never thought this would happen to me…make it sound like a penthouse letter.  

You didn’t even talk about how I wanted to work at Disney…oh wait it’s in the title.

My pastimes include: doing things for Bianca (that’s meeeee!), fixing things, getting migraines. 

Sociology major at UC Santa Barbara. Passions include: Taylor Swift, fashion, FRIENDS, chocolate, Snapchat and sassy t-shirts.
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay