Jessica Clegg: Foodie and Fitness Fanatic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Name: Jessica Clegg

Hometown: San Diego, California

Major: Environmental Studies

Year: Freshman

Sport: Women’s Soccer

Jersey: #26

How is college soccer different than high school and club soccer?

Well, first of all we practice everyday, and the practices are a lot more intense. We still have fun, but we focus more on certain aspects of the game, whereas in high school we would often just scrimmage during practice and enjoy the time. This week we’re working on getting forward out of the back. Every week we are working on something specific.

How do you stay healthy? What are your favorite things to eat?

A lot of people make fun of me (laughs), but my favorite foods are quinoa and kale. I’ve cut all processed food out out of my diet. I stay motivated to eat healthy because I’ve been in points of my life where I would eat really poorly, and now I see the difference. My energy level has gone up, my sleep is so much better, and I’m way faster and feel more fit than I did before. The reason why I keep it up is because it has benefitted me so positively.

Besides soccer, what do you like to do for fun?

My favorite thing to do in Santa Barbara is run at sunset. Whenever I’m not playing soccer, that’s what I usually am doing. Either that, or I go to the beach and go kayaking with my yaks that I recently bought on the side of the road. When I’m at home I always will put my kayak in the pool and take my cat in it… she didn’t like it at first, but now she’s used to it.

(Jess chillin’ in her favorite spot: nature!)

Do you have a favorite moment from this past soccer season?

When we beat Cal Poly 4-0… it was really fun to beat our rivals. Also winning Western League for the first time in seven years was amazing. We put so much hard work in over the summer, and it was nice to see that we actually got somewhere. That hard work didn’t go to waste.

(Jessica, #26, taking the field and standing for the national anthem before the game against Cal Poly)

What is your favorite memory at UCSB so far?

Probably when my best friend Erika who I hadn’t seen in so long came to visit me. We went to a party and had a little reunion and just danced all night. It was really funny because we were just being weirdos. Somehow we got into one of the rooms upstairs even though they were all locked and had codes. We went and danced at the window sill that overlooked the entire unit where everyone else was dancing. I lost my hearing for the night because the speakers were so close to my ears. It was so nice to see her, and it was such a hilarious night.

How would your friends describe you?

They’d probably say I’m weird. Weird would be the first one for sure. Healthy would be the second. I would hope to be considered determined. Some people have described me as that. Maybe funny? I would hope that as well.

Keep up with Jess on instagram @jessica_clegg

Taylor is a first year from San Diego, California. When Taylor isn't writing or journaling, you can find her shopping, playing soccer, or hanging by the beach. Her ambitious goal is to one day become Editor in Chief of a major fashion magazine.
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.