James Franco: The Ultimate Campus Celebrity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you know that James Franco graced us with his presence on Friday, April 1st for the premiere of “Your Highness.” In a fierce competition, UCSB won the opportunity for James Franco’s newest film to premiere on our campus. Best known for his breakthrough starring role on “Freaks and Geeks” (1999), James Franco was born in Palo Alto, California on April 19, 1978. James Franco graduated from Palo Alto High School in 1996 and subsequently attended UCLA, majoring in English.  As an immensely bashful teenager in need of overcoming his fears, Franco decided to take up acting at UCLA. Franco ended up leaving after only one year to study at Robert Carnegie’s Playhouse West. En route of pursuing his dream of becoming a famous Hollywood actor, Franco began looking for work. Before he knew it, Franco got himself a starring role on “Freaks and Geeks” (1999). However, it wasn’t until his role in James Dean (2001) that James rose to fame and proved his talent as a serious actor. Since then, Franco has been in countless movies such as Spider-Man (2002) and its subsequent sequels, Deuces Wild (2002), and City By the Sea (2002)–in which Robert De Niro personally casted Franco. Franco can be seen in newer movies such as Milk (2008), for which he won the Independent Spirit Award for Best Supporting Actor, and Pineapple Express (2008), for which he got countless laughs. Franco was also starred in Eat Pray Love (2010), 127 Hours (2010), and The Green Hornet (2011). Not only is James Franco an extremely talented and versatile actor, but he is also a professor. Yes, James Franco recently took a teaching position at NYU where he will be enlightening the lucky students of NYU on directing. After seeing his unwavering dedication to his fans, his newest film, and his unbelievable good looks, I think it is safe to say that we all fell even more in love with James Franco this week. 

Rachel is a senior at UC Santa Barbara and studies Communication and Global Peace and Security. Rachel is from a small, beautiful town in southern California called Palos Verdes. However, Palos Verdes is just one of the many places Rachel has lived. Rachel spent her childhood moving and traveling all over the world, living in places such as Indianapolis, Indiana; Santiago, Chile; Vienna, Austria; and Orlando, Florida. Rachel has found her heart and her home in California, choosing to spend her college years in sunny Santa Barbara. However, Rachel continued her wanderlust when she studied abroad in Barcelona, Spain in Fall 2012. At UCSB, Rachel is an immensely dedicated and involved member of her sorority Kappa Kappa Gamma, where she held the positions of Panhellenic Delegate, Inter-Greek Counselor, Rho Gam, and a member of the Nominating Slate. Best Buddies, a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment, and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, is a passion of Rachel's, as she is their Social Media Coordinator as well as an active and proud member. As a member of the Lambda Pi Eta Communication Honors Society, Rachel is able to implement her prowess and affinity for communication and communication-related issues. When Rachel is not writing, participating in Kappa events, or volunteering, you can find her in the gym, on the soccer field, watching Modern Family, or cooking. Rachel's love for sports, food, and writing often times go hand-in-hand, as one may see in her weekly blogs. For the past two summers, Rachel has been freelance writing for the Los Angeles Times, and hopes to continue her career pursuit of journalism after she graduates. Rachel is elated to be a part of Her Campus's fabulous team and loves every moment of it!