How to Start a New Routine after Daylight Savings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Fall Back. The best time of year is when you can get an extra hour of sleep! However, if you’ve always struggled with rearranging your sleep schedule and starting a new routine, then these tips are advantageous for you!

1. Wake Up Early

Image via Giphy

Wake up at the same time every day. If you get up at a consistent time, you are more likely to adjust to a new schedule! Do this even when you go to bed late or on the weekends! Try to wake up 30 minutes earlier than you normally would and keep doing this until you reach your goal time!

2. Let the Sun In

Link from Giphy

Open your curtains and wake up to the sunlight! Exposure to natural light is the best way to wake up your brain every morning! Letting the sun in helps reinforce your body’s natural circadian rhythm, making it easier for you to get up and start your day!

3. Exercise

Link from Giphy

Exercising in the morning is the best way to start your day! It motivates you to wake up before school and gives you a natural energy boost! Morning workouts are also more effective because it revs up your metabolism and keeps it going all day! Working out too close to bedtime will mess with your sleep schedule and keep you up!

4. Caffeine or Lemon Water

Image via Giphy

It’s best to avoid caffeine. However, if you have to have your caffeine fix than drink coffee or tea in the morning. Avoid drinking it in the afternoon so it doesn’t mess up your sleep cycles at night! Try switching caffeine out for warm lemon water! It’s a natural and healthy way to detoxify your body and gives you an energy boost!  

5. Go to Bed Early

Image via Giphy

Try going to bed early. Now that the clock is set back an hour, it gets darker quicker! Even if you’re not tired, turn off your electronics and try to sleep. Remember that it’s technically an hour later than it actually is!

6. Go Dark

Image via Giphy

Turn off all electronics at least an hour before bed! Keep your room as dark as possible at night. The less light that goes into your bedroom, the deeper you’ll sleep at night!

Shannie Kuo is a graduate of the University of California, Santa Barbara, and has a degree in English. Her passions include health, fitness, photography, and food and she always strives to look for balance within her life. She enjoys going to the farmers market, discovering new coffee shops, and meeting new people. She hopes to find a career that will reflect her passions and allow her to connect with people nationwide.
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)