photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

How Shonda Rhimes Made TV Better

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Shonda Rhimes is an American television producer, screenwriter, and author. Rhimes changed television through her insightful screenplays, diverse cast members, and beautiful productions. 

Let’s start with Grey’s Anatomy, one of the few shows on television that have diverse cast members, excellent storytelling, and drama that can capture your heart. Rhimes changed television by including diverse cast members in  Grey’s Anatomy which continues in other shows she has produced such as Scandal and How to Get Away With Murder. By presenting people from different backgrounds who come together to achieve a common goal such as saving people’s lives, Rhimes envisions a better world. A world in which people look beyond their differences and come together in order to achieve greatness.

Image via Flickr.com

Also, Scandal is a show that has intrigue, suspense, comedy, and romance. When Scandal first aired, Kerry Washington, the lead actress, became the first African-American female lead in a network drama in almost 40 years. (https://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/01/17/arts/television/scandal-on-abc-is-…) The fact that there has not been an African American woman as a lead character for 40 years shows how far tv has to go with showing diverse people (I would also like the numbers on the amount of  Latino, Asian and Native Americans lead characters on tv). Rhimes creates shows that not only push the boundaries but breaks those boundaries too. Since Scandal, there has been an increase of shows being lead by African American women like How to Get Away with Murder.

Image via pinterest.com

Shonda Rhimes changed tv for the better by diversifying television, and from diversity she created a world in which people of different backgrounds can work together.

Image in thumbnail via pexels.com

Hi, I'm Briahna and I'm a fourth year at UCSB; majoring in anthropology. I'll start with a quote "it's never been true, not anywhere at any time, that the value of a soul, of a human spirit, is dependent on a number on a scale"- Geneen Roth. Sometimes in this big wide world I do feel small but I am reminded by this quote that I am much more than anything that can be measured by a scale, a grade point average or society standards of what a woman should be. My value is dependent by the standards I set for myself.
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)